Soar Above the Sky

Ever since she could remember Kailani "Ice Queen" Serensin had flown like her father, she flew cold-like Ice

Ever since she could remember Kailani "Ice Queen" Serensin had flown like her father, she flew cold-like Ice. She could wait until her enemy got stupid and then take them down, it was a more cautious way of flying that her sister had never understood. And Rocksteady was her perfect flight partner as solid and patient as she herself was.

But Kailani was about to strangle the pilot flying in front of her, because as steady as she flew, she did not fly slow.

"Rooster, buddy, we're losing time you need to pick up the pace."

"It'll be okay." Was the reply making Ice Queen shake her head, and her sister liked this guy? At the pace, he moved they might get married by the time they retired from the Navy.

They kept flying and back on the ship Dark Star muttered quietly "Come on Rooster, open the throttle."

In the tower, Firebird shook her head as her men called out to her "Ma'am, Dagger 3 and 4 can't keep up."

"Arrival time to destination, 1 minute 20 seconds."

"3, 2.. The enemy airbase has been destroyed."

"Enemies change direction towards the target."

She sighed as Maverick's voice came over the comm "Rooster, where are you?"

Her daughter's voice spoke next "Come on, Rooster! We have to make up for the time while we can!"

Finally, Gemma turned to Cyclone "Get me a direct line to the kid."

Cyclone nodded and handed her a comm she took a deep breath before speaking lowly "Rooster... This is Firebird."

"Ma'am."

Firebird chuckled "It's crazy, that you call me Ma'am when you used to call me Aunt Gemma... Now listen to me Rooster, your father was an amazing person, but he had one flaw.... He would have followed Pete Mitchell to the ends of the earth, not because he trusted his abilities but because he loved this life.... Your father would have still flown if it had been Maverick that died. Because your father felt the same need we all do, he felt the need for speed. So he lived his life a knot at a time, he didn't think about the future, not when he was in the air..... So you tell me something Rooster, did you earn the right to wear those wings? Or are you just pretending to be what the rest of us really are?"

Rooster stared ahead, then looked down at his father's dog tags before he punched it. Gemma took a deep breath and looked to Cyclone who nodded, they were both teachers, and sometimes you had to give someone a punch in the gut to get them to do what they needed to do.

Ice Queen followed after Rooster "Alright! Let's make up some time!"

"Do we have to go this fast?" Rock Steady asked making Ice Queen roll her eyes "How many times do I have to tell you Rock, no back seat driving!"

"Sir, Dagger-2 is catching up." Phoenix informed the older pilot, who grinned in his cockpit, "Alright kids, let's hit our targets and go home."

Dark Star smiled and looked over to where Hangman sat in his own jet the two gave each other a thumbs up... It was about to go down!