The Threshold

Ariel Danielson walked along the beaten path, suspicious eyes scanning the lush garden. Everything seemed so alive in the sunlit vicinity. Birds chirped from leafy trees, and tiny mammals traversed along the woodland floor. The unusual quiet was disturbing, but she continued her march forward as if compelled.

But in the teen's eyes, the colorful garden seemed gloomy and shrouded. "Compelled is the right word," said Ariel aloud. The sound of her voice in the quiet gave comfort. "For years, I dream and return to this blasted garden." She ground her teeth in frustration. "It makes no sense!"

Really? The familiar voice whispered to her through the perfumed air. The path you walk is like your life. You move forward, but that is all you do. You do not proceed with purpose or toward a goal. You do not make decisions or entertain choices. Therefore, you plod along the beaten path, never crossing any thresholds.

As usual, Ariel ignored the voice. It said the same things her family preached to her daily. All the talk amounted to nothing. She felt comfortable with her life—a life of hiding in her room, eating, sleeping, and gaming. Why bother with the traumas of adulthood when all she wanted was at her fingertips? Why bother with choices when nothing would come of it—except death?

The girl thought back to her parents as she paused.

"Your brother wanted to be a police officer since he was little," said her mother, her voice pained and weary. Every morning it was the same old speech when the teen sauntered downstairs to secure food and drink for the day. "He made a choice to serve and protect. Joey was happy with his decision because he had made an impact on the world. He didn't—"

"He didn't know it would cost him his life," interrupted Ariel. She shoved back her matted brown hair and grabbed her usual bagels and milk. "He chose to help the world, and it was a bad one. Me, I simply chose not to choose." And she turned and headed back upstairs to her hidey-hole.

Her father would waylay her during trips to the kitchen. "Honey, Autumn and her husband chose to try for another baby." His once strong voice seemed weak and unsure. "Neither of them ever suspected she'd—"

Ariel snorted as she turned angry eyes toward her father. "Neither of them suspected Autumn would die in childbirth. They made an unwise decision, a bad choice. I see what choice does to people. Therefore, I choose not to choose." The dirty teen yanked at her stained shirt before slamming the door in his face.

Ariel shook herself out of her musings. Choices be damned, she thought and once again began to walk. At least on this path, I'm safe, I am

Suddenly, the trees in the beautiful garden began to thin, and the girl found herself standing at a gate with bricked pillars at either end. Ariel gaped at the scene and shook her head in defiance. "No, I won't go forward. I'll just go back." What she knew was better than the dreaded unknown. Ariel turned, her dark eyes gazing at the path behind her—but it had all but disappeared, covered in an array of flowers.

"Ariel, life is all about the choices we make. Our decisions, whether big or small, impact our lives and those around us."

A shocked Ariel turned around to face Joey, her deceased brother. He stood to the side of the gate, his dark eyes twinkling, a smirk on his handsome face. Her older brother had a habit of smirking no matter what the situation. She wondered if he had smirked when he was shot.

"But you died, Joey. Your choice cost you your life."

"True," he replied, his eyes softened. "Some choices we regret, some we're proud of. I'm proud that I saved the lives of two preschool girls and their mom. Their drunken father would have killed them had I not shielded them."

"You know, Ariel, we are what we choose to be. I choose to be a mom. I'm sorry I had to leave my husband and little Simon, but I'm so glad little Gracie lives," said a second voice. "I always told my doctors, if it came to choosing between my daughter or me, chose her."

Ariel turned and stared into the amber eyes of her sister, Autumn. The redheaded beauty smiled at her younger sister and crossed to stand next to her brother. "I hoped you'd be a guiding force in her life."

The words shocked her. "I can't. I haven't stopped grieving for you both—" cried Ariel.

"But it's time you did. Life moves on, and so must you. Staying in one place won't stop you from making choices." Joey frowned. "But it will make life dull, just staying on one path."

Ariel agreed but shook her head. "But I haven't made any choices."

"Doing nothing is also a choice, sweetie," replied Autumn as her essence began to fade. "It's been five years in this garden. Perhaps it's time to leave and continue your journey through life."

Joey smiled as his essence followed suit. "When a gate appears, it means change is coming as well as opportunities. Will you finally choose to enter the rest of your life, or will you remain standing still?"

Both faded from sight.

The garden didn't seem as gloomy anymore as she studied the gateway. Knowing that her beloved siblings were fine with their choices and at peace with the results, Ariel gazed inward. Joey was right. Gates are an entryway to choices and changes. Nobody said crossing the threshold will always lead to happiness.

"Joey and Autumn have no regrets, why should I?" Ariel looked at the arch before her. "There are no guarantees, but a least it will be my choice and my decision."

Ariel threw back her shoulders, raised a foot—and moved forward.