Prologue

Prologue

My name is Alex. I am a famous actor and son of an extremely wealthy family.

Growing up I never had to face many hardships, everything I desired or sought after, I got eventually.

Through my father's contacts and fame, I was able to become an actor, who played in many famous movies and became quite popular. I was living my best life, one which most people envy.

After a shoot for a movie I am acting for, I was exhausted and went out to get something to drink with Sara, a colleague of mine. She is also acting in the film we just shot for. Not only is she good at acting, but is also beautiful.

"So how did you find the shoot?"

I asked Sara.

"I'm very glad I got the opportunity to work on this project, but it-"

She was interrupted by a group of men yelling and approaching us.

"Give us everything you have, now!"

"Don't try to resist if you want to get out of here alive!"

They said while flashing knives that were hidden under their hoodies.

I was shocked, not knowing what to do.

"Do you know who I am?! You better leave us alone if you want you and your loved ones to stay safe!"

What am I saying? Just give them your money already, that's all they want!

"Really, tough guy? How about this?"

As soon as those words left the man's mouth, I felt a burning pain in my chest, looking down to see that I had been stabbed.

It seems Sara ran away... I hope she makes it out of here uninjured.

"Run after her, don't let her get away!"

They yelled.

I have never felt such excruciating pain in my life.

Am I going to die? I am trying to yell but nothing comes out. Is this it for me? I am only 22 years old; I can't die yet. There is so much I haven't done; I don't want to die with regrets.

I have yet to get married, have children and be the father of a wonderful family. I can't die already, I've barely lived!

The noises I'm hearing around me are starting to fade, my vision is beginning to be enveloped by darkness.

Suddenly the pain disappeared. Have I died? Am I in heaven? I open my eyes to see a window containing text in front of me.

"Would you like to continue? Yes / No"

Below that appeared another window containing yet another string of text.

"If the option 'No' is chosen, your heart will stop in approximately 4 seconds."

Is this another chance? Could this be a gift from the gods?

"Yes."

I answered.

Suddenly, I appeared in a chilly, dark cryptic room, which was lit up by torches.

In front of me was a figure who was enveloped in darkness, with extremely long dark hair, which hit the floor, sitting in a throne-like chair.

"Where am I? Who are you?"

My questions were left unanswered.

It raised its head and stared into my soul. My legs went numb; I fell to the ground without noticing, cowering in fear. What I saw is indescribable, I felt like I was prey being hunted. Even just being in the presence of it is making my body shiver.

I really hope I can get out of here as fast as possible.

"You've lived the life of a king. You had everything you desired, never struggling with anything you never faced hardships in life. You possessed the power of authority and wealth, which you were not grateful for. You've seen what it is like to live a lavish life, now you will see what it's like to live without owning anything, being at the bottom of the food chain, and being extremely weak. Best of luck."

The figure said in a deep, demonic voice.

"Wait!"

I yelled, but before I could finish what I was trying to say, I was sent out of the room.

I woke up lying in the middle of a field under a tree, with the sun shining into my eyes. I felt as if I was reborn, with so many questions which were left unanswered.

My head hurts, I am unable to process everything that just happened.

I looked down to see that I was not in the body which I was used to, was I actually reborn as someone else?

My hands and legs are a greenish colour, and the shape of my body is way weirder than it used to be. I need to find something on which I can see my reflection.

I looked around me and found a river flowing not too far away from me.

I ran to the river as fast as I could, crouched down, and looked at my reflection.

Green skin... Pointy long ears... Big nose... Bald...

Have I... Become a goblin?!

From my knowledge of playing video games, I can make out that this is a goblin's body. Goblins are usually the weakest monster in games, so it would make sense why the person sitting on the throne mentioned something about being weak... Just what did it do to me?

If I am a goblin, then wouldn't that mean that there are other monsters in this shitty world as well? What does that figure expect me to achieve as a weak goblin child?!

A soft voice interrupted my thinking; it was of a goblin woman speaking in a language which I've never heard, but understood fluently.

"Where have you been, Orand?" She ran over and hugged me tightly. "I've been so worried something happened to you! Come, let's go home."

Not knowing how to react to what she said, all I could utter was a simple

"I'm sorry".

I don't know who this person might be, but from the way she is acting she must be a family member of mine.

While walking she gave me a long lecture about running away and disobeying her.

We arrived in a village, at a hut-looking building; I've never seen anything that looks like it.

"What are you looking at, Orand? stop staring at the house like you've never seen it and come in!"

"Oh, right... sorry, I'm coming!"