chapter 6

A couple of months had passed since Summer's arrival and everything seemed to be settling down in Summer Bay. The atmosphere in the Braxton house was happier and more relaxed, as each week passed Summer seemed to open up a little more to her brothers and develop a lovely personality.

Summer had got to know her brothers little by little, she enjoyed going to school with Casey and seemed to have a positive influence on his studies by completing her homework in plain sight; making him feel guilty for neglecting his own. Heath and her had strengthened their bond and frequently played pranks on Casey. Whilst the biggest change had been with Brax, since allowing him to see her cry they had become close. Brax desperately wanted her to tell him what had gone on at Richard's but at this point, he was happy that she would at least come to him for comfort after a long day.

Heath and Brax were back at the house, chatting about everything and nothing in particular. "Do you think that the pup has settled in?" Heath asked suddenly.

Brax looked at the second eldest for a moment and could see the concern etched across his face. "It's just, we haven't really talked about why she came to live with us. Maybe she doesn't trust us enough to tell us?" Heath sighed as Brax put a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"She'll tell us in her own time mate. Summer's been here a few months now, she's had to adjust to living with us, moving to a new school and making new friends. We've still got a way to go yet" Brax said squeezing Heath's shoulder gently before turning to hand him a letter.

"It's from the prison." Heath blinked at the envelope but before he could open it, Brax interrupted.

"You've not told them that you've seen dad have you?" Brax said referring to Casey and Summer.

"No, do you think I'm an idiot?" Heath protested, he'd been seeing their father over the last few months in an attempt to understand who the man was. He didn't know how to be a father and with Rocco on the way, he turned to his own father in an attempt to understand. Sure, he'd looked after Darcy but that was for no more than a week at a time; Connie did all the parenting. Brax had gone ballistic when he had found out. Brax couldn't understand how Heath could forget all the years of abuse in just one afternoon, but Heath hadn't forgotten; he was trying to learn what a father shouldn't be like and he had, especially since Summer had arrived.

Heath sighed as Brax shook his head disapprovingly and continued to open the letter. He read through the letter slowly, but soon encountered a problem. "Erm Brax, we've got a problem."

"What are you..." Brax was about to ask when he was interrupted, but not by Heath.

"Door wide open, anyone could walk right in." Came the voice of a man who caused Brax to flinch slightly. He prayed to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that there was that the man from his nightmares was not stood behind him; he prayed he would wake up at any moment.

"What are you doing here?" Brax hissed violently, he didn't need to turn around and look at the intruder to know who it was.

"Dad." Was the only word Heath could muster, he was seconds away from telling Brax that Danny Braxton had been released from prison but he hadn't envisioned this."

"Darryl, is that any way to greet your dear old dad?" Danny laughed cruelly.

"Dad what are you doing here?" Heath tried to deflect his dad's attention onto him, something he'd always done.

"Well I just wanted to catch up with my boys didn't I?" Danny said stepping further into the house and looking around. "Nice little set up you have here."

"You're not welcome here." Brax said through gritted teeth.

"Who are you to tell me where I am and am not welcome Darryl." Danny took a step towards Brax.