Chapter 9

When Heath and Summer eventually got home, they found Brax and Casey waiting for them. As soon as Summer stepped through the door, Brax swept her up into his arms and held her tightly. But before he could say anything to her, they were interrupted by their mother bursting into their living room.

"THERE SHE IS!" Cheryl swiftly rounded on Summer. "LEECHING OFF YOU NOW IS SHE?"

"Hey, quit your yelling." Brax put Summer behind her, feeling her begin to cower. "What is the matter with you?"

"I've just seen Danny" Cheryl said, still furious. "He's angry that she's here. She's ruining things still!" She pointed at Summer as she screamed causing Heath to step in front of Summer too.

"Summer has done nothing wrong mum." Casey defended his sister. "Why do you blame her so much?"

"If she hadn't been born, there would have been enough money to go round. Your dad wouldn't have turned to crime to pay for things. If he wasn't so tired, he would have been more tolerant of you all." Cheryl was still shouting. "Being a girl made it worse, so weak and always crying! Richard should have killed her when he offed himself!"
"ENOUGH!" Brax roared, causing his mother to shrink back. "Dad was a crook long before Summer came along and he'd been beating me and Heath for years! I will not have you talking about Summer like that, she has done nothing wrong and you know it."

"You will not speak to me like that Darryl Braxton!" Cheryl snarled, "You just wait, she'll ruin your life like she did mine! When she came along, Danny wasn't interested anymore; if she'd been a boy then things would have been better!"

"No, you're wrong." Heath snarled back at his mother.

"We were so much better off before she came along and after she left too. Richard probably killed himself because he couldn't deal with her anymore. He used to call me and beg me to come and see her, like I'd do that." Cheryl pointed her finger threateningly at Summer.

"Get out." Casey said, stepping in front of Summer and joining his brothers.

"What did you say?" Cheryl looked at Casey menacingly, but Casey was angry at his mother and he was not going to let her treat his sister like dirt.

"I said, get out." Casey repeated, louder this time and Cheryl took the hint.

When she had left, Summer let out a deep breath and hugged her brothers. "Thank you" she said smiling weakly, shocked by her brothers actions

"No one is allowed to speak to you like that, ever." Brax said, taking Summer by the shoulders.

"We are here for you." Casey winked

"Agreed." Heath smiled and in that moment, Summer felt truly happy and safe with her brothers.