The Land of Beginnings Pt. I

Markkason Ashworth

Newtale

February, 1703 AR

You don't know how hard it is being a traveling half-elf sorcerer until you've tried it out. Especially when you can't cast for a rabbit's ass. Thank the gods I can play the violin or I wouldn't even be able to afford a room in even the cheapest of taverns. I'm from a land called Fallengaurd north of here, but after the town was sacked by dracoliches two years back, I was forced to move out with nothing but the clothes on my back, a rucksack filled with the essentials, my violin in its wooden case and my beloved grey tabby cat familiar, Ghendri. I still can't talk to Ghendri quite yet, but I can tell we're linked. And I can tell he's just as hungry as I am.

I let the bow slide across the strings of my violin, feeling the tune flow through me as I let the instrument become an extension of my fingers. I fiddle for at least an hour, barely making any noise over the bustling townsfolk, before I look in my case. 3 silver pieces...Erg. That's at least enough for a room at the Meadowlark Tavern and some new rations. I pack up my violin and head toward Meadowlark.

"It's getting late, Ghen," I whisper to my cat, "I'll buy you some fish, my little knight." A girl gives me a glare like I'm the most insane person on the planet and I respond with my middle finger, smirking. I can see she rolls her eyes and shakes her head begrudgingly. Ghendri looks up at me and sticks his tongue out as we make it to the door of the tavern, the sun quickly hiding behind the giant Aurean mountains.

I can't help but notice the townsfolk seem to be preparing for something. Several men are stringing up lines hung with paper lanterns between houses and setting festive flags with dragons painted on them.

"Hmm," I shrug as I walk into the tavern.

"Can I help you sir?" asks the woman at the desk.

"We'd like to rent a room," I say with confidence, noting how empty the Inn seems. We share a moment of eye contact before I feel Ghendri's claws softly pressing against my hip, "And some rainbow trout...if you will."

"We?" she presses curiously. I open the flap on my bag a little more so Ghen can peak out and stare wide-eyed at the woman."Ah," she says, "Well I can help you with the fish, but sadly we're filled up on rooms."

"Filled up?" I demand, "How? You have nearly seven stories of rooms!"

"Some famous dragon knights are passing by, Newtale's throwing them a week-long welcoming festival and many people are visiting from the neighboring towns. No one wants to miss it. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience."

So that's what they're preparing for... I think for a moment.

"Inconvenience!?" I say, nearly breaking the wood as slam my fist against the bar, "Where will I stay?"

"Perhaps you could try a room at the Amber Inn up North of here."

"I have barely enough coin for a room here, what makes you think I could afford Amber Inn?"

"Hey!" she points a finger at me, "I'm sorry you're poor and bedless but so are nearly half of those people outside are right now. I don't care where you go, but I ain't hearing your complaining in my Inn!" I stand my ground, not daring to take a step back no matter how much I want to.

"Maybe I can help you..." yawns a female voice from behind me.

"Gagh!" I jump, "Sorry, you startled me. How could you help?"

I turn around to find a beautiful human woman standing behind me with her hands planted suggestively on her waist. She wears a blue silk dress and a purple cloak, nearly hidden by her impressively long, blonde hair; which she twirls behind her ear."You could spend the night in my room," she smiles.

"You have an extra bed?" I ask her, not wanting to understand.

I see the Inn-Keep stifling her laughter out of the corner of my eye. The girl moves moves closer, pushing her chest out and slipping her hand down the fabric of my cotton sleeve.

"Not what I had it mind," moans the woman, "I'm Anthea. What's your name?"

I shift my weight and pull my tunic a little lower down my front. I can feel my cheeks filling with pink and I know she sees this. She giggles.

"Markkason..." I tell her.

She grabs me by the hand and sits me down by the table."We'll take some rainbow trout, a beef sandwich on white and your finest wine, Margrette," Anthea says to the Inn Keep.

"Will do, Anthea," she replies with a wave of an old brown rag.