The Land of Beginnings Pt. IV

Elanya Silverwind

Newtale

February, 1703 AR

"They're causing quite the ruckus, aren't they?" I say to the crow beside me, "Good-for-nothing dragon knights. A boy found my sleeping place because he was trying to clean out the stables so they looked presentable. Not like they're going to be coming in on ripping horses, anyway."

"I'm sorry," says the crow, "But what have I got to do with this?"

"I needed someone to talk to," I respond, tossing more seed from my pockets at his feet.

"Thank you...Why are you on the roof?" he caws.

"I'm watching them."

The dragon knights have just summoned their armor, and though I can appreciate it for what it is, it does not impress me. It looks too much like human armor, even if it isn't. I prefer oak-skin and leather. Much prettier.

The dragon knights dismount from their dragons and walk into Amber Inn, leaving their scaled friends to fly freely. The smallest and darkest one takes off quickly, but after he sees his master go inside, he glides slowly to the forest near the entrance to the city. Overcome by an impulse to pet him, I leave the crow confused and leap to the roof of the other building nearby. Nimbly, I slip down the side of a small cottage and behind a haystack near the wall where no one can see me but a nearby beetle, who is too concerned with his own familial life to try to alert someone of my presence.

I can see him through a hole in the wall. The dragon rests his head on his paw-like claws, stretching his back legs as he relaxes in a clearing in the woods outside. The gates are opened for a stunned group of merchants, amazed by the sudden appearance of a dragon, and I walk by, willing myself not to be noticed. It works. At least for the guards it does. They wouldn't arrest me for leaving, I just find no pleasure in talking to paranoid humans.

The dragon's eyes open, and he raises his head curiously. When he finds me walking towards it, he bristles a little. I open my hand and magically produce a series of small, phosphorescent spores which float the air and vanish in the wind. The dragon instantly calms, and looks to me.

"I'm Kasai," he says in an eerily smooth and crystal clear voice, "Who are you?"

"Elanya," I saw, enjoying the glint of light from the full moon as it bounces off of Kasai's back, "I'm a druid."

"An elvish druid," he says calmly, "I do like elves."

"Who's the man you came in with?" I ask.

"That's Rael Ironflame."

"Has Rael kidnapped you?"

"What!?" he yelps, his voice suddenly a harsh moan.

"Are you under a spell?"

"Rael is my best friend! He is part of me and he is the only one who will ever understand me!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean-" I start, feeling the magic of the scene fading."

"A dragon knight would never force a dragon to stay with him. He is not my master, he is my friend," says Kasai before he quickly takes off.

So apparently I can't even talk to dragons, I think to myself, I figured they'd be easier. I guess humans aren't the only fickle ones. Why is everyone so easily offended? It's ripping ridiculous.

I turn to walk back to the city, watching the faint silhouette of the offended Kasai as he soars into the clouds. Unfortunately, the gates have been shut since I left.