Investigation

The following morning, the Bad Guys wasted no time getting to work. Wolf, Webs, and Shark went straight to the latest victim's house, which still had yellow police tape around it.

“What do you think, Wolfie?" Webs asked as they stepped into the kitchen.

“Well, obviously, she died right there," Wolf said, pointing to the white outline on the ground. “But everything else looks surprisingly clean."

“Yeah," said Shark, “no sign of blood, nothing's broken... Good thing, too. Some of this stuff looks valuable. Wonder if they're gonna throw it out."

“Shark, we're not stealing from a murder victim," Wolf warned. He then noticed a black device on a counter. “I got an idea. These virtual assistants are always watching. Webs, can you access the house's system?"

“Already on it," Webs replied, pulling out her laptop. In a matter of seconds, she was in.

“Now, look for footage from the night of the murder," Wolf commanded.

“Okay, there's the baby's room... the garage... Wow, they got a jacuzzi! Ah, here we go."

The three animals watched the footage of the woman mopping right before a small, black figure peeked out of a sink full of soapy water and dirty dishes.

“Who's that in the sink?" Shark asked.

“I don't know," Wolf admitted. “But they either have gills or can hold their breath for a very long time."

Suddenly, the figure jumped out the sink, onto the woman's back, grabbed her head, and turned it hard enough to break her neck. The figure jumped off the woman as she collapsed and they jumped back into the sink as the water drained.

“Is it just me, or was the killer almost the same height as Gabi?" Webs asked.

“Probably," Shark said. “Could just be a coincidence, though. Gabi would never hurt another soul."

🐺🐍🕷️🦈🐟🐹🦊🐠🌹💍🥂🎇

On the other side of town, Snake and Piranha went to visit the morgue to get a better look at the body.

“So, you must be pretty happy to have a son," Piranha said.

“Well, actually, I don't know how to feel," Snake admitted. “It's been thirty-seven years since I last heard from Hailey, due to her parents keeping us apart, and now it turns out we had a son together?"

“And grandkids," Piranha added. “Can't forget about the grandkids."

“Yeah. That, too," Snake agreed. “It's just, y'know, a lot to take in. I mean, how would you feel if you and Gabi were going to become a family all of a sudden?"

“Not really the same thing, hermano, but we did talk about the idea of having a family many times," Piranha said as they stepped inside the morgue. “Maybe you just need to spend some time around them to see how you really feel."

Once they got to the metal bed where the body rested, Piranha pulled the sheet down while Snake read a sheet of paper on a clipboard.

“Says here her name is Holly Wilson," Snake explained. “She was twenty-eight years old. Maiden name, Brown."

“Ooh, that doesn't look good," Piranha said, pointing to the giant bruises on her neck.

“There's more on the sides of her head," Snake noticed. “Not as blue, though. And small."

Piranha put a fin next to one of the smaller bruises to make a size comparison.

“Whoever did this either has tiny hands or just has one finger on each hand," he figured. “Doesn't make much sense, though. How could such a little thing kill a person?"

“What about all of those people you took out?" Snake asked.

“Hey, hey, I've never killed anyone, chico," Piranha claimed. “I've maimed a few guys, and bit a lot of butts, but I didn't kill them."

“Relax, buddy. I wasn't accusing you of anything," Snake assured him. “But I don't think anyone else in the city is that small and dangerous."

“Wanna bet?" a voice suddenly said. Snake and Piranha turned around to see a broad-shouldered figure in the shadows.

“What are you doing here?" Piranha asked as Misty Luggins, the chief of police approached them.

“I heard you and the rest of the Bad Guys were helping investigate the murders," she said, “and as much as it pains me to help you, I thought I should give you a small piece of information."

At that moment, she gave them a news article about the S.C.U.M. prison incident.

“‘All of the guards and prisoners were found dead,'" Piranha read aloud.

“All except one," Luggins said, pointing at a picture of Marmalade.

“Professor Butt-rock?!" Piranha exclaimed. Snake hissed ravenously at the thought of the guinea pig.

“There's no evidence that he has or would kill someone," Luggins explained, “but these murders did start shortly after the incident. And knowing what he's capable of, he may just be the lead we've been looking for. If we find him, we can figure out whether or not he is behind them."

“We gotta tell this to Wolf!" Snake said to Piranha, and the two of them ran out of the morgue in a heartbeat.

“That was rude, didn't even say goodbye," Luggins huffed.

I always hate trying to figure out the middle parts.

Until next time. 🌈