heart,

❝but breaking your
heart breaks mine.❞

MAY 23,
twenty-three days after the funeral.

DENISE'S
surprised face encountered nisha's after she opened her front door, not expecting to see the girl on her doorstep so early in the morning. surprise that was quickly replaced by a radiant smile as her face lit up with joy at seeing the one she considered her daughter finally get out of bed and make an effort.

"nisha oh my god," were the only words she was able to say before pulling her into his arms for a hug, "i'm so glad to see you here!"

a small smile found its way onto the girl's face, albeit a faint one. she, who had been afraid of the judgment and reactions of the bellingham's upon seeing her again after what happened, realized how foolish her reasoning was. they would never judge her. nisha was part of their family, it wasn't her father's death or her behavior that would change that.

"i guess that you didn't come for me," denise said, obviously referring to jude and nisha nodded shyly. indeed, although she felt guilty about everyone, that feeling was reinforced when it came to the footballer. "jude's outside, training," his mother pointed to the garden behind her back and nisha thanked her, yet she didn't move, still unsure of his reaction when he will finally saw her.

seeing the nervousness of the girl in front of her, denise let out a small laugh thinking of her son who was in the same state of mind. then, with a motherly gesture, she put her hand on nisha's shoulder before sending her a reassuring smile, "jude wanted to come and see you this afternoon, but now that you're here, there's no need," a last wink was given to nisha before she finally took her courage in both hands.

the words of her best friend's mother had reassured her a little and she was now moving more confidently towards the green grass outside before finally hearing the sound of a ball slamming violently against the uprights of a goal. guessing that it was jude, she let the sounds guide her and eventually spotted the tall figure of the englishman oozing with exertion. gently, she moved along the ground so as not to disturb him, he seemed focused on his task.

not wanting to look like a stalker either, she wished to clear her throat or even greet him quickly, however, she didn't have the time because the ball bounced off the wall and ended up at the girl's feet. wanting to avoid jude's gaze, which had by then turned around, she kept hers on what had just landed in front of her, wondering what to do. surely in panic, nisha controlled the ball and ended up doing a few little juggles with it, then, hesitantly, sent it rolling back towards the footballer before looking into his eyes.

he blocked the ball under his feet while he did his best to look as inexpressive as possible, not wanting to let his surprise at seeing her here get the better of his face. a few seconds passed where only glances were exchanged between the two, neither of them really knowing where to start after their misunderstanding two days before.

it is jude who finally spoke up, understanding that if he didn't, the silence would be far too long to bear, "i'm surprised you didn't forget all your skills during your three weeks of confinement."

nisha was a little taken aback by the harshness in his tone, though she had expected it a little. she cleared her throat, somewhat embarrassed as she waddled to her feet, no longer looking at the boy in front of her. "you can't really forget something like this in three weeks," she had said quietly as she tightened her arms around her chest, uncomfortable. it was strange to feel this way with him because it had never happened to her before.