1. A Sunday In March

This is a work of fanfiction. I do not own the characters, all canon character credits belong to Modern Family. I only own the plot. This work has also been posted on my a03 account, same username as here on Wattpad. (Tarrwrites.)

Haley Gwendolyn P. Dunphy's personal property. No snooping allowed! I'm talking about YOU, Luke, so don't wait until you have to suffer the consequences. 

6: 02 am.

Dear Diary,

I almost NEVER wake up this early, but Alex has been studying for this test at six thirty, so I need to write earlier. But if she finds out I write in a DIARY, I'll never live it down. She knows I'm not the type to do dorky things like this, but I need to rant right now, and nobody else will listen to me.

Alex the geek doesn't know about this, either, but after I broke up with Dylan, my popularity has tanked. The contents of his brain could fit into my Uncle Cam's miniature refrigerator (which he keeps because it's cute) but everyone ADORES Dylan.

Honestly, when we were dating, I thought I could see what other people didn't see in him. That made me feel special, made me love and cling to him.

Dylan was caring, emotionally wise, and he'd do anything for me. But after we got together, I let him meet my friends. He hadn't changed a bit, which got me taken aback, considering who they are.

Tiffany Merkle, Cassidy Tan, Natalia Nasfield. Popular girls, and even if I'm not a bar graph obsessed nerd like my sister Alex, they're popularity is about three times more than the average student.

At first they stared at Dylan all weird. ''This guy is your boyfriend?''

I was Haley Dunphy, which had a different meaning back then than it does now. I was worried I'd have to lie and cover Dylan up, which would be horrible, but luckily I didn't have to worry for long. There was something humorous about Dylan's personality, something beautiful in the way he looks at the strings of his guitar.

But our breakup felt.. like change had to be made because we were both different people. And pulling away from each other wasn't as hard as I thought, which made it hurt even more. 

But that's when Tiffany said I was a total loser for breaking up with Dylan, and I'm never going to find someone better than him.
Andy.

Now I need to rant about how pathetic it feels to break up with Dylan because Andy had what I wanted. Just for Andy to be with someone else.

Mom took these lame psychology lessons a couple of weeks ago to sound smarter when talking to Grandpa (she's such a daddy's girl) and after hearing her bounce some quotes around, one of the main things she said was:

''We all have two types of problems: one we fight within ourselves, that battles our feelings in the most quiet, long-word-I-don't-understand manner. The other battle is what we face everyday, and ninety-nine percent of the time, it's what we focus on the most.''

Like I said, I'm not good with bar graphs and nerdy charts named after a pie or whatever. But I understood the types of battles she meant, and she's right. I WILL focus on what I face every day when getting up to school, it's a problem bigger than Andy.

It's my reputation at school. As I'm writing this, I'm putting a pillow over my mouth and quietly SCREAMING, in case Alex hears it and wakes up. She's going to tell all her dork friends about my journaling, and my name will be destroyed.

As if it isn't already, back to the main problem. (Lately I've been having such a hard time focusing on things, after the breakup exactly three weeks and four days ago, and rethinking my life without Dylan.)

About two or three days ago (I can't keep track of dates anymore, it's like I've become a completely sad, different person) I wore these cat-ear eyeliner, and for context, it's THE makeup brand of the season.

I wasn't going to ruin it with some tears because of Dylan not being there to appreciate it. He used to call my eyeliner, ''eye doodler.'' The guy likes doodling.

Anyway, it's time for me to put my most important plan into action: gaining back my popularity. The reason I lost it, to begin with, is because after being with Dylan, even Alex and Luke can admit I've become.. nicer. 

I don't sass kids in the lower grade, or make fun of nerds- even if they're so..nerdy. Still, I don't say it out loud anymore because it doesn't make me feel good- Dylan taught me that.

Ever since forever, my 'brand' for being nice was because of Dylan, who's niceness was considered 'cool.' Why? I don't know, but I'm recently just realizing how weird popularity systems are.

Maybe when you're on top of the system like I used to be, it doesn't feel strange. I kind of get the taste of having no popularity anymore, and it sucks. Which is why this is about to be over. Haley Dunphy doesn't need to be Haley Dunphy-Marshall to be cool. Now, excuse me as I write down some important things.

Haley Marshall

Haley Marshall

Haley Marshall

Haley Marshall

Haley Marshall Haley Marshall Haley D. Marshall

Okay, done writing the important things. After spending the OFFICIAL last night being a friendless freak after three weeks and four days of a serious turn in life, it's time for Haley Dunphy to rise to fame again.

I'll call it, No Need To Be Haley Marshall To Get Compliments On Eyeliner. The name needs work. But my plan will get me back on the popular kids' table, the seat that's been reserved for me since first grade. 

Time for action. 

                                                                            Up next on Chapters 2 and 3 (out now!) :

Haley goes on about her relationship with Andy, as well as her conflict between Andy and Dylan.. Something about her new plan to settle her feelings and gain back her reputation seems off-key, but the drama at school (and with her heart) is just beginning... (Literally.) 

Author's Note: Thank you for reading! What did you think of this first chapter? Please don't forget to give this a vote or leave a comment if you liked it, it'll make motivate me to finish the story, as well as help the story a lot!

Do you want Haley and Dylan to end up together, or Haley and Andy? Your opinion matters!

The next few chapters are out now! Updates will be every 1-3 days, but usually much sooner!

PS. I also have another, much shorter and COMPLETED fanfic out about Lily Tucker-Pritchett, you can check it out on my profile! Please stay safe everyone! 

-T