4. Showdown

10: 58 am.

Dad was fairly surprised when said I was going to borrow his old guitar, and bring it to school. I told him I needed it for show and tell, which Mom was suspicious about. 

She's been quite a ''helicopter mom'' ever since my breakup with Dylan, and I've gotten used to her list of questions for me everyday. As if she doesn't take up extra courses on teen psychology.

 Luckily, she didn't have time to ponder on the guitar, and why I keep humming 'wind in my hair, I was there, I remember it all too well.'

Last night I've been busy memorizing the song, as well as coming up with a script on what to tell Dylan. Something powerful but goofy, reminding him of what we had, and giving him a chance to bring that back.

I'm super confident it would work. Right now I'm actually writing this during English class, when Mrs. Gressle thought I'm taking notes. Oh shoot, she's calling on me. Be right back!

11: 02 am.

Dylan was in my English class, as well as two of the popular kids. They were giggling as I didn't understand the question and didn't answer it right, though Dylan's laugh seemed forced. Like I said, boys can giggle, too.

My stomach is doing butterflies now, only an hour before lunchtime, my time to shine. Now let me just doodle here until the bell rings.

4: 40 pm.

I'm going to Dylan's house to hang out with him. The past, four or five (can't count) hours have been crazy, but here's what happened:

The rollercoaster ride started when the bell rang for lunch, and I was heading to my locker to get Dad's guitar. I was extra careful, since he'd be super upset if anything happened to that guitar.

For the past few weeks I've been sitting alone on one of the middle-tiered people's tables. Not the nerds, but a good distance away from the popular kids. 

I was known as Haley Dunphy, cute girl who used to be somebody, slightly confused with where her social rankings are. They need time to update, but before long I'll be back.

Dylan had been too hurt to invite me to their table, which is just fair for him. It's time to test just how hurt he was, although he can't resist me with a guitar case.

My stomach clenched as I walked over to them. Dylan was sitting between Esther Wilkenfeld and Emily Hargo, two newbies to the popular table. I sucked my teeth at the familiarity of Esther's seat- she'd have to look for a different table when I come back.

''Dylan..''I said, but not loud enough. The cafeteria was so noisy. ''Dylan.. DYLAN!"'

He looked up, surprised for one second, but then confused. His eyes lingered in mine, as he grinned slightly. At least he wasn't sitting next to Alexa Morceli, who was talking loudly enough for me to hear.

''Joshua, what's the square root of this number? Your hair is so cute!''

Joshua is this nerd who's famous for competing in international math competitions, so it was pretty clear what Alexa was doing. He didn't seem to mind, though. Anyone would enjoy the company of Alexa.

''Why are you holding a guitar?'' Dylan blurted out. His head is tilted curiously. Good.

''Come with me. You'll see.'' I tried to sound persuasive and playful, but it came out all wrong.

Esther and Emily glared at me.

''She's not the boss of you, Dylan,''Emily whisper-shouted. I'm sure Alexa and her math tutor could hear her- ugh. ''Is this why you broke up? She clearly doesn't respect what you want, like she's dragging you around and stuff.'' When Esther said ''stuff'', she stuffed Dylan's mouth with a taco.

Not so fast, newbie. ''Dylan, you'll come with me, right?'' I said, pouting a little. It used to always do the trick. ''I won't kidnap you or anything, I just need to remind you about something.''

I cringed at the last part. How do I say anything without sounding like a manipulative jerk?

Dylan's chair grumbled as he slowly got up. He chuckled nervously, and I was reminded of how tall he was. ''Won't hurt to see.''

His expression shifted only slightly as we (very slowly) started walking out of the cafeteria, half of the room staring at us. ''Haley, what's this about? Why are you carrying your dad's guitar around?''

Before I can answer, Alexa is suddenly up in my face. ''Dunphy. Glad to see you're not overstepping. Going back to your seat, are you? Because this part is for the nerds.'' She gestured to the nearest table.

Strangely, the nerds didn't seem disgusted or hurt. They stared at Alexa in awe, like, woah! She knows us, and she's so close to us! They sure didn't look like that when I walked past them.

''Alexa, I don't know who you think you are, but whatever it is, I was it first,''I said, as calmly as I could.

She reciprocated my fake smile. ''I see. Where are you taking Dylan, over here? Is he telling you how bored he is of you?''

''Nah. We haven't started talking, actually- be grateful you didn't have to see it.'' My voice was a half snap now- yikes. When that happens, I can't tone it down.

''Well I hope you're having a good time, Dunphy.'' She strutted away, heads up. Something with a warning is in her voice.

I put a hand over Dylan's chest, just to spite her. The onlookers gasp. Dylan's expression didn't change one bit for the worse- honestly, he looked happy-shocked.

''My guitar's about to sing for you,''I whisper in a sing-song voice. This was nothing to worry about after all-easier than I thought.

But just before we made our grand exit out of the room, Alexa came running over to us, like a hippo charging.

Suddenly, behind her was a bunch of nerds, raising their cups of pudding.

''Get your hand off him!'' yelled a nobody.

''If you can love up around him, why can't we? Is that what you're trying to say?'' yelled another nobody-nerd.

Huh? What? Dylan looked more confused than his resting face. I let go of his arm.

''You're using him to become popular, after breaking his heart! How could you do that to that guy?''

WHAT? ''I-I- we just had a normal breakup!''

''That wasn't what Dylan said, was it, D-money?'' Hey, that's what my dad used to call him! Everyone parted as Alexa stretted up to us. ''Tell her what you said, Dylan.''

''Dylan, what is she talking about?''

''I was u-upset,''he blurted out. ''Can we talk privately, Haley?''

Alexa looked smug as Dylan dragged me away, looking flustered. What was happening? 

Author's note: Chapter 5 out! Please don't forget to vote and leave a comment if you enjoyed this.