Chapter 9 [Grief]

I dislike this chapter, but since I've held it off for a couple of days, I thought It would be best to post it.
IMPORTANT: I've edited chapters P-4 heavily, and added some more scenes to them :) Expect this to happen to all of the other chapters before I post the next chapter in 2 weeks.

==================================

17th of August 1997- Sunday

Life in the Emperor's harem wasn't as cut-throat and oppressive as Harry had first thought it was going to be. Sure, the concubines would sometimes poison and harm you to get the favour of his Majesty, but most days, they lived in relative harmony with each other, the days passing in blissful luxury. There hadn't been an incident such as that for as long as he had been in the Court.

"Perhaps a lighter shade of blue today, Master? It's rather sunny outside, so I'll also keep the layers thin." Anya held a silken robe out in front of him, decorated with wisps of white that caught the light and shimmered slightly. He fell in love a little.

"Yes, that'd be good. It's quite hot, and I'd rather not faint today." Harry chuckled to himself, slipping it on with a little help from his maid.

"And for hair decorations, Master?"

"Silver, keep it plain, but a few blue gemstones won't cause a fuss."

"Yes, Master."

That's how his carefree morning went, lazing around until the time arrived that he had to begin making his way to the hall for the daily meeting. Harry stood, looped his arm with Anya's and grabbed a book on the way out. It was bright outside, and the perfect temperature for a stroll after he was finished with his duties, which he told his maid with a smile on his face.

Just before Harry exited his garden, the guard holding it open for him, a Eunuch looking distressed rushed up to him, and collapsed to their knees at his feet. He took a step back, raising his eyebrows at the sight. "Noble Potter-Black, this one comes bearing ter-terrible news!" The Eunuch lifted his head, eyes a bloodshot red and tear tracks marking his face. Dread shot through Harry's heart, and he grabbed a hold of the Eunuch's robes, staring into his eyes intently.

"What, what is it!?" He shook the man as he continued to blabber. "Pull yourself together and tell me! This is a matter of importance!" Was it his family? Were they hurt? Or was it the Emperor? One of the royal children? A concubine? Was he in any trouble-

"No-Noble Lafington has unfortunately mi-miscarried the child she was carrying e-earlier this morning. His-his Majesty has ordered for his concubines to stay within their palaces until-until instructed otherwise. You must go back inside at-at once, Noble Potter-Black. The morning meeting has-has been cancelled!" The man wheezed for breath, falling backwards to land on the ground when Harry let go of his robes.

Harry didn't even attempt to stifle the gasp that tore from his throat at the news. Noble Jasmine had declared yesterday that her child was brimming with life, and growing normally, smiling happily whilst she told all who would listen. To think that the child she had treasured so deeply was just gone so suddenly was...

Harry breathed deeply in through his nose, and out. In and out. He took a few moments to compose himself, to make sure that his voice didn't tremble as much as it wanted to. "May... May Magic bless my Sister and his Majesty the Emperor in this trying time. I wish them both my deepest condolences for their loss."

The Eunuch bowed, hesitating as he turned to glance back over his shoulder at Harry, before hurrying off through the gate which slammed shut behind him. The guard had a companion now, dressed in identical black robes. In the short amount of time Harry had spent with the Eunuch, the Court had already moved into lockdown. He just knew that he'd find a similar pair guarding the main doors.