Chapter 18 [The Beginning]

I adore this chapter, and I don't think I've ever said that! Seriously, I put so much emotion into some of these scenes, because I was drawing on personal experiences, and it somehow made it so much easier to write ^-^ It got to 5k words in the end!
Anyway, I've got two mock exams tomorrow [today], but I just wanted to get this out now whilst I remember.

Trigger Warnings- Mentions of body modification [Side character], Mentions of Miscarriage [Past], Mentions of Suicide, Mentions of Death.

==============================

1st April 1998- Wednesday

"-Despite Concubine Felix's lax in informing His Majesty, and the harem as a whole, of his pregnancy, he still receives the Emperor's sincere congratulations on conceiving a royal child, and therefore, his Majesty graciously promotes him to the position of Primary Concubine." Bellatrix looked undeniably smug, her voice dripping with haughtiness and superiority. After all, Concubine Felix was firmly within her camp- his promotion was a boon to her own status and position as the Harem's most powerful member.

Harry's eyebrow rose in disbelief, however, at the situation. Despite going against the Emperor's decree so blatantly and knowingly, the Concubine was still receiving the boons that his pregnancy brought? He looked around the room, noting by their stunned faces that many agreed with his thoughts.

Felix was currently not in attendance, his isolation also extending to attending the daily meetings, which Harry thought was more of a blessing. He was growing tired of the uselessness and the monotony of them, the talks dominated by Bellatrix, his personal opinions washed away under the sea of voices talking over one another. It seemed that all decorum vanished from the concubines when they stepped within these walls, and they became snide, gossipy animals.

"That is to be expected, a second child is a rare occurrence here. Only three of us have ever given his Majesty two or more children. Sister Penny, with two daughters and a son," Regulus sent a genial glance towards the proud-looking Consort. "Sister Alecto, with her twin daughters," Alecto looked ruffled at the mention of them, but pleased to be put in the spotlight, "And the Late Noble Consort Evangeline, with her two daughters and son. With Brother Felix already three and a half months along, the chances of his child being born are incredibly high. This is something to be celebrated."

And now that his pregnancy was out in the open, it would be incredibly suspicious if he suffered a miscarriage, especially at over fourteen weeks along. It was smart, and Harry was sure that's why many were so against others hiding their pregnancies, despite changing that opinion the moment it involved themselves.

Erin piped up. "Still, with only a pregnancy, Concubine Rosier has been given the Primary position, which has a lot of responsibilities, whilst still being in isolation? I mean, surely that isn't-"

Bellatrix cleared her throat, a frown on her face, dark eyes glaring down at them from the dias. "Silence. We are not here to question his Majesty's decrees, only to accept them for the gifts they are. Be happy for your Brother and his growing child, Noble Witt."

"My apologies, this news is greatly welcomed." Never had Harry heard such sarcasm from a member of the harem, and tried his hardest to stifle his amusement. However, he wasn't lucky in that endeavour.

"And what about this situation amuses you, Noble Potter-Black? Do share." Bellatrix's snide comment brought him right back to Hogwarts and the pompous attitudes of some of the students and teachers. His lip twitched at the comparison, holding back further slips.

"I was smiling in agreement with Sister Erin, Consort Bellatrix. It is, after all, a great occasion- the Emperor will have yet another child in a matter of months, perhaps even another son. After all, Concubine Rosier has given him one once before."