The Test

"Oh no, oh no, oh no!"

I stare at the 2 pink lines on the stupid stick. This cannot be happening. What the hell I though we were careful. I shouldn't have slept with that asshole anyway, even if it was the best sex of my life. I'm not sure it was worth it. Oh god, I'm gonna have to tell Kale. He hates me he'll probably want nothing to do with our baby. I mean who wants to be a parent at 17 if they don't have to be. Regardless of what is going to happen there I have to get off the bathroom floor and go to school. Three breaths, we are going to take 3 breaths and stand up.

Inhale, exhale, 1. Inhale, exhale, 2. Inhale, exhale, 3. I push off the floor and stand up. I shred the box to pieces and bury it in my trash can, but I can't bring myself to throw the test away. I put the cap on the gross end and put it in a ziplock bag. I walk out of the bathroom and into my room. I put the bag at the bottom of my sock drawer and cover it with socks. I will tell my parents at some point, but I don't need them finding the test before I can tell them.

I grab a pair of jeans and a T-shirt from my closet and put it on. I pull up my hair and wash my face. I opt out of makeup in case today ends in tears. I grab my backpack and car keys and head to the car. Thankfully both my parents have gone to work and my siblings got on the bus about half an hour ago.

For the ten minute drive to school I turn the music as loud as I can stand and let it distract me from my thoughts. I pull into the student parking lot and walk up the stupid hill to the entrance. This thing kills me everyday, I can't imagine how bad this will be in 5 months when I'm huge. The bell rings as I reach the stop so I just head straight to first period.

My first period is English and I have it with none other than Kale. How lucky am I? I walk past him and his big group of friends and head to my spot on the opposite side of the room. At least Madison is already there, so I don't have to sit alone.

"Morning Ellie, you okay?" She asks, she can read me like a magazine.

"Yah just a long morning" I tell her.

Just then Mrs. Hines hangs up the phone and clears her throat. The entire class turns to look at her.

"Listen up class, today apparently we will not be learning English or anything really. It is surprise drug and pregnancy testing day." The entire class groans "so girls you will go to the gym and boys you will go to the auditorium. Y'all are the first group, congrats. Ellie Ard and Madison Bennett y'all go first to the gym."

Of course of all days for this to happen, it happens today. I guess my secret won't be a secret for much longer. Madison and I pass by Kale on our way out.

He laughs and says loudly "it's not like Ellie needs a pregnancy test, no dude will touch her with a 10 foot pole."

All of his friends chuckle in response. He knows he is wrong, he just doesn't know exactly how wrong.

As I shut the door I say "he's just upset his dick is dry."

I shut the door and I hear the class erupt into chaos and Mrs. Hines tries to gain control.

"That was pretty gutsy, Ellie" Madison says.

"What can I say he brings out the worst in me." I spit out through gritted teeth.

We make it to the doors of the gym where a teacher tells us to take a seat. The both of us make our way up the bleachers and take a seat just as someone begins talking.

"I'm Dr. Elliott and I am an OB/GYN. Drug testing here at Brandeis High School happens twice a year and last year I started implementing a plan to help girls who are pregnant. You will go to the girls locker room and pee in a cup and then you will go to the second gym. In the second gym a nurse will pour half of the contents into a second cup. Your name will be written on both cups and put into two separate piles. One will be sent away to be drug tested and the other will be tested for the pregnancy hormone. Every single one of you will meet with me or one of my nurses. If it is negative we will give you a pamphlet about safe sex and send you back to class. If it is positive, we will help and give you as much information as we can. Oh and the boys are given the same pamphlets as you, because they need to know too. Thank you for your cooperation."