The Move

I absentmindedly rub my belly as Kale and I stand in front of the giant mansion we are about to call home. The both of us were pretty spot on about how our parents would react.

Mine were disappointed in me, but said they would love me no matter what. They were worried about finances and medical bills and how they would afford all of that. I brought up Dr. Elliott and they weren't too fond of me going to live somewhere else. After I laid it all out for them, they were on board because they could see how this would be the best way to go. I told them on Wednesday, the day after I found out. On Thursday my parents, Kale, and I all took a tour of the place. After the decision was final my parents requested that I come have dinner with them once a week. At least they still want a relationship with me.

Kale told his dad on Friday and was right. His dad kicked him out immediately and said no son of his would be a father at 17. Apparently at first he said he would pay me off to stay out of his life or arrange an abortion or adoption. Kale told him none of those were options and then said he would be out of the house in the morning.

So now here we stand, the first Saturday of spring break ready to move into a home for pregnant teenagers. Oh how our lives have changed in just a few days.

I turn and look at Kale "you ready?"

He nervously chuckles "as ready as I'll ever be."

We both grab the handle of our suitcases and walk through the door into the house. Dr. Elliott is there to greet us immediately.

"Welcome Kale and Ellie. This is my wife Nurse Elliott. If you will follow me then I can show you to your new room."

We get to a short hallway that splits into 2 long corridors. The left has a little sign that says under renovation, so we go to the right. It's lined with doors to rooms, but they are only on the left side of the hallway. I guess the right wall is connected to the living room. We pass 8 doors with names on every odd one. We stop at number 9, on the outside of the door is a piece of paper in a frame and on it says Kale & Ellie. I look a little down the hallway and I see a few more also have names on them.

"Number 9 will be your room" he pulls out what looks like a hotel key and unlocks the door. "You share a bathroom with room 10, but I have purposefully not put any people in the even numbers. There won't be people in them until number 15 is filled and we start again with number 2. So for now you share a wall with an empty room and get a bathroom to yourself." He hands us a piece of paper "here is the code to the room, but the rooms do not lock automatically. If you want it to be locked you will have to lock it from the inside or out. Are there any questions right now?"

"I have one" I say. "There are doors farther down who have names on them too, but when I talked to you last you said you only have 4 families."

"Yes we have more people moving in. After your school on Tuesday we went to another one that day and then 2 more on Wednesday. There are 4 high schools in your district and I go to each one. There is one more couple from your school and then a couple from each school. There were a few other pregnant girls, but these are the one who chose to come live here. They will be moving in over the course of the next few days. For now I will leave you two alone, dinner is at 6 and we ask that we all eat together. If you need something just start looking and you'll be able to find someone." Dr. Elliott and Nurse Elliott leave and it's just Kale and I.

We both look around before our gaze finally meets one another. Together we both start unpacking. Kale goes and gets our 2 other suitcases from the car and we start the planning process. There is one giant dresser and a closet for us both to share. We divide both evenly and start putting clothes away. We really didn't bring a whole bunch. After about 2 hours we finish and I collapse into bed.