Chapter Thirteen - Sunset Walks

I finally get a breath from laughing at the jokes Athena's friends are making when I notice that everyone is standing up and moving towards thwe door.

"Wait, where's everyone going? Is the sorting ceremony finished?"
Yeah I'm learning the names
"The prefects must be taking the first years to the common room. You better catch up with them," Emma says to me,
I've learned to like Emma and all of Athena's friends, they're nice to me.
Emma, the one that was speaking to me have light aubusn-blonde hair and bright green eyes.
She's very pretty and looks like she does well in school.

All off Athena's friends stand up, so does Athena.

"Yeah I better go...,"  I drag off,
I have no idea where the Prefects are, or the rest of my year.
Before I have time to ask, Athena puts a hand up, silencing me.
"Why don't I tell this year's Prefects to go on without you,"
I frown confusedly,
"And we can show you the castle a bit," she finishes.
"But then ow will I kow-" I get cut off,
"We can show you how to get to the common room after, we know the password after all," Emma says, she looks around at her friends, getting them to agree and nod their heads.

I take a moment to think.

I don't really know these people,
How do I know they aren't going to lead me into some trouble.
What if this is just a plan to bully me?!
What if none of the fifth years do this and they just want to beat me up or something?!

I think Emma could see my rushing thoughts through emotions my eyes displaying, she nudges Athena and whispers something in her eyes.
Athena nods and bends down to my level.

"We aren't pervs or anything-" She tells me,
"Athena!" Emma hits her back lightly and moves her out the way.
"Hey, look, why don't we go on a walk outside," Emma tells me, it sounde more like an option question though.
"You won't get in trouble, the only thing you might get told off for is being late back to your dorm, but that curfew is in like three hours. Your fine,"

I smile back as a reply and she nods.

"Guys we are going to go walk round the building," Emma turns round and glances at her friends. They seem to understand and start walking towards the entrance of the hall.
"Zed!" She calls, I don't know who too until Athena turns around.

Odd form of nickname

"Why don't you check on your brother, maybe we can show him round the castle too. He does like hanging out with the boys sometimes,"

Athena rolls her eyes at the idea of bringing her brother bt eds up smiling at Emma nand nodding,
"I'll meet you outsie of cats place," She says, turns and starts walking with the rest of her friends.

Emma turns to face me again.
"Right, just you and me now squirt," She smiles at me,
"Let's go for a walk,"
I nod, we both stand up and head outside.

******

Emma leads the way outside, seen as I am very new to the school.
There aren't many people outside, the people that are out here look lke they are in fourth year or older.

We are following a path that runs around the school.
Emma is the first one to break the silence.

"It's a weird thing," She looks at me,
"Don't you think?" She continues, still looking own at me.
I'm confused
"What is?" I ask her
"Well, I mean. The whole ting really,"
Still pretty confused
"Getting a random etter telling you that you are a part of this whole 'magical world'," She quotes, pointing out the obvious point she was making.
So she is actually talking about the whole thing.

Wait.

She's a muggle-born?

She pauses, waiting for my opinion.

"You're a muggle-born? I ask her, that being the first thing I say in a while.
She just nods in response.
"Ah, I didn't know,"
"Well, I didn't expect you to," She laughs,
I can feel my cheeks reddening.
"True, sorry," I reply, laughing in embarrassment.

She laughs with me, waving off my apology and keeps walking down the path.

I walk along beside her, lookin around, taking in my surroundings.
Imagining how different life would be right now if Hermione and I idnt get our letters.

And if I got sorten into any other house.

"We aren't as bad as everyone says," Emma says, as if she's read my mind again.

I stop and she keeps talking.

"Gryffindor and Slytherin haven't liked each other since the very beginning of Hogwarts,"
She stops and turns around to look at me.
"And that was like a billion years ago,"
I laugh at her sarcasm.
"To be honest I still don't know much about the houses. Just what Hermine's told me,"
She looks at me with a smile on her face.
"So tell me, what house is you sister in? And what do you know?"
"Erm well, Hermione's in Gryiffndor and he told me that basically, Slytherin's are the bad guys..," I trail off,
Emma gasps and puts a hand over her heart, over-exageratinly.
"But that's just what Harry said-"
"Potter?" She asks me
"Em, yeah,"
"I got told he was joining this year but I have to say I didn't fully believe it. I mean, Athena didsay he is Blaise's age so I shound't be shocked, I guess,"
She says, mostly speaking to herself.

Who's Blaise?

"Sorry, keep going. What about the other houses?"
She puts a hand beside her mouth and whispers,
"I can tell you now we aren't the bad guys. Not of our stories anyways,"
Confusdly, I carry on.
"Uhhh Ravenclaws are really smart,"
She nods her head in response,
"What everyone's told. Not true for all of them I have to admit but most Ravenclaws are pretty academically inclined so it's not far off,"

I wrack my brain, trying to remember the conversations I had a few hours ago about the houses.

"Hufflepuffs are loyal and that's about it. Hermione didn't say much about them," I say to Emma and she nods again.

We are walking around the back of the building and Emma comes to a stop. There's a wooden bench at the side of the path an she goes to sit down.

"That's the sad truth to the Hufflepuff house. To most of the houses to be honest, but Hufflepuff especially. People only say and only write down the traits of houses that are pretty stereotypical, to be blunt," She says looking up at the darkening sky.

"Hufflepuffs, Slytherins, Ravenclaws and even Gryffindors are all so much more than the history books write, because, everyone's different right? So everytime there's a new book about Hogwarts, the people and the houses have been described differently to the last,
So how they manage to get an accurate representation of the houses and the people in them is beyond me,"
She looks at me.
"You know?" She smiles, realising how much she just said.

I take a moment to take in everything she just said. All of her points and arguements.

"100%" I reply.

She starts laughing,
"You know you can have your own opinion. You don't need to agree with everything I say," She scrunches her nose whilst smiling at me.
"No I know, I know. And I do have my own opinion," I reply shyly, my voice grown quieter, not wanting to sound rude.
"I just happen to have the same opinion as all the points you just stated there," I carry on, smiling back at her.

She stands up and waves her hand, beckoning me to follow.
"You know you act very mature for your age. What are you, eleven? Twelve?"

**********
1316 words