Chapter 7

• مهداة إلى Renette Pickering

Nazem Eid had somehow expected more resistance from Hussein ibn Muhammed than he encountered.  He accepted the call to a meeting in Beirut almost as though he had been waiting for it.

Nazem was on hand to meet him at the airport.  The Ayatollah had chosen to travel incognito, and his male secretary had especially requested that their reception at Beirut airport should be kept low key.  Nevertheless, a word in the right direction had ensured that customs could be bypassed and ibn Muhammed and his entourage were whisked away in two waiting vehicles.

They met several hours later, once again using the Al-Ahram Hotel as their venue.  The Ayatollah’s men were attired in white, relieved only by black headbands over white headdresses.  By contrast, Arafat’s checked keffieh, draped around the unshaven face, afforded him the look of a peasant.  He retreated noticeably under Hussein ibn Muhammed’s cool gaze, recovering his composure sufficiently to make the necessary introductions, without quite managing to reassume his arrogant stance throughout the rest of the meeting.  The tall Saudi was obviously accustomed to a position of quiet control; there was regality in his bearing and pride in his expression.  But it was as he was introduced to the Trilateralists that Nazem’s interest in the man quickened.  He greeted both Boulier and Saunderson with thinly disguised contempt and turned his attention to the priest.  It was as if he knew him.  Both men stood, their glances locked.  The moment lasted perhaps only seconds yet the atmosphere had become electric.  Nobody moved.  Nazem felt the blood begin to pound through his body and recognised the emotion as fear.  Then Hussein ibn Muhammed turned quietly back to the room and Arafat signalled the waiting hotel staff.

The Ayatollah arranged his robes around him in the chair and accepted a small cup of cardamom-flavoured coffee.  Nothing was rushed.  In deference to Saudi custom, he was served two further cups of coffee during the opening conversation and then he accepted a glass of mint tea.  Whereas at their previous meeting the priest had remained in the background as a spectator, this time his demeanour had changed.  There was an attentiveness about him that seemed to Nazem to pervade the atmosphere without at any time altering the relaxed pose.  Not for the first time, he wondered who this man really was.

Nazem observed the other Westerners closely.  Their understanding of Arab etiquette was faultless, and they awaited the cues of the Arab contingent before bringing the meeting to order then moved into the conversation with the Ayatollah effortlessly.  Although Hussein ibn Muhammed’s French was virtually flawless, an interpreter was on hand in case any problem areas were encountered.  The initial agenda was worked through quickly and it was plain that the Trilateralists’ prime intent was to sound their man out first, before entering into the real purpose of the morning.

“Our government is deeply concerned about the Gulf crisis,” Saunderson said at length, addressing his statement directly to the Imam.  “We recognise that Saddam Hussein’s motivation in entering this war with Iran was to repress the Shiite majority in Iraq.  Obviously there was a fear that the Ayatollah Khomeini would have the power to stir them to revolt and overthrow the Ba’ath Party.”

Ibn Muhammed nodded.  “His fears were not without foundation,” he agreed.  “Shia in Iraq have suffered under Saddam Hussein’s repressive measures for many years, it was simply a matter of time before they answered the call to unity under the Ayatollah.”

“There have been massive deportations of the Shiite population in Iraq,” Saunderson continued, “and continual reports of torture.  That must have had a profound effect on you as a religious leader.”

Ibn Muhammed bowed his head slightly in acquiescence.  “I was personally acquainted with the Ayatollah Muhammed Baqr al-Sadr, a Shiite leader tortured to death by the half-brother of Saddam Hussein,” he said.  “When one suffers, all suffer.  When one is martyred, the spirit of martyrdom is breathed into the hearts of a multitude of others.”