Chapter Three

Waking up this morning was a lot harder than I wished it could have been. After nearly crying myself to the point of dehydration when I arrived at my Airbnb last night, I couldn't bother to bathe or prepare anything for the day so everything was hurriedly put together at 6:30 AM.

After throwing all my necessary items including my lunch, phone, and notepads into my tiny backpack, I rush out the door and start up my bike. Before I know it, I am zooming down the streets and headed to Top Gun to begin my first day of training. The sun is rising delicately over the horizon and a fresh layer of dew covers all the freshly-cut lawns as I whiz by. Stopping at a stop sign, I take a moment to breathe in the morning.

Thank God for a new day. A brand new chance to make things finally go my way.

As excited as I am for this mission, I can't help but feel an intense coil of nerves in my stomach. I still haven't even been debriefed on the mission and I don't have any idea what I am getting myself into. All I can hope for is that my dad knows what he is doing.

Pulling into a parking space, I kick the bike kickstand out and lean the bikes weight onto it. I slide off of it easily and begin making my way to the main entrance. As I hike my way over, I notice a familiar Kawasaki bike parked near the door. Even worse, I also notice a blue Ford Bronco.

I turn away from the truck and just focus on the task at hand. I cannot let my personal problems get in the way of my performance in this mission.

Upon my entry into the foyer, I walk across the familiar triangular Pacific Fleet symbol. I smile extra wide as I see Admiral Kazansky's signature smirk from the portrait on the wall.

Admiral Tom "Iceman" Kazansky. Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet.

I've always had a deep respect and admiration for the Admiral. Not only because he would babysit me for my dad in the main offices, but also because he was like a second father to me. Anytime I was in need of advice, guidance, or just needed someone to talk to, I could go to his office at the end of a long day and hash it out. He has been an amazing mentor for me.

I also really look up to Iceman because he seems to handle all of his problems extremely well. With his throat cancer, he has a weakened immune system and low energy, but he still finds a way to come into work and get his job done. He does not take anyone or anything's crap.

Smiling fondly, I turn away from the portrait and head for the women's locker rooms. I have to get changed into my flight suit before I head to our first mission meeting. Thankfully, I still have about 5 minutes left to do so even after I thought I would be tremendously late.

I swing the huge wooden door open and walk over to set my things down on the bench in the middle of the locker rows. I glance around and spot my call sign on one of them to my right. I unlock it to reveal a clean, pressed uniform in my size as well as a new pair of boots, my flight suit, helmet, and oxygen mask.

Looks like they went all out to supply us with brand new items.

Right in front of my locker, I strip off my "regular" clothes, put on a black shirt and my standard cargo uniform pants underneath, and then tug on my bulky flight suit over the top. Before zipping it up all the way, I kneel down to tie my boots on. Just as I tie them both on, someone walks into the locker room.

"Morning, sunshine. Looks like you made it on time." They say.

I turn my head to see Nat standing there with a coffee tervis in one hand, and her keys in the other.