Chapter Five

After finishing up dinner at the diner with my Dad, which seemed to take forever as he wanted to thoroughly catch up, I take a nice stroll back to my Airbnb. A million wild thoughts race through my head as I think about Bradley and my Dad.

I'm so nervous my Dad will disregard all my pleading and decide to not let me go on this mission. I so desperately want to prove myself to the Navy and even my Dad. I know I can do this mission. I just need the chance.

While there is never a guarantee with this job, I believe I have what it takes to succeed. The Navy saw something in me when they sent me to Top Gun and now that I've graduated, I need to show them what I can really do without holding back. No limits, no simulations. This mission has a specific target, a specific goal, and no restrictions.

Getting a little anxious about all of this, I decided to take a detour and walk to the beach. I really need to clear my head after this whirlwind of a day. All along the way, I kick up rocks and pebbles and watch them skitter off down the pavement. I've done that since I was a little girl, walking along the streets of Fighter-town. It provides some sort of temporary relief.

Once I arrive at the beach, I take in the pure tranquility of it all. The waves lapping up onto the sand, the moon glittering above the surface of the water, and the gentle breeze caressing my face and hair. It reminds me of simpler times.

I spot a bench a few yards away from me and cross over the pale sand to sit. I cross my legs and arms and tilt my head back.

When did life get so busy?

Between flying, traveling, and keeping up relationships, I've rarely had the time to sit and relax. This moment is like a much-needed rest break, but knowing that it has to end at some point makes me anxious once again.

I pull out my phone to check the time and see that it is almost 10:00 pm.

Damn. I got another early morning tomorrow. I should probably go back.

I sit there a few minutes more and enjoy the silence. No busy cars passing by, no noisy people, just me. Me and my thoughts.

With a deep sigh, I pick myself up off the beach and stretch out my back. I then start making my way back to my Airbnb.

Tomorrow's going to be another excruciatingly long day.

—————

"Time is your greatest enemy." My Dad speaks, cutting his way into the front of the debriefing room.

I adjust myself in my seat, keeping my attention entirely on my Dad. Today, I find myself seated next to Nat who practically flagged me down so I would sit next to her. Her new RIO, Bob, is seated on the other side of her.

"Phase one of the mission will be a low-level ingress attacking in two-plane teams." My Dad continues, turning his attention to the huge screen at the front of the room.

A 3D view of our prospective course is pulled up and a mini model F-18 is seen dodging through the narrow canyons. The tight turns and incredible speed does nothing to help the nervous tendrils that slowly make their way into my stomach.

I guess my Dad did have a good reason to be nervous.

"You'll fly along this narrow canyon to your target. Radar-guided surface-to-air missiles defend the area. These SAMs, they're lethal." My Dad then pointedly turns around looking at each and every one of us. His gaze lingers on me.

"But, they were designed to protect the skies above, not the canyon below." He then says after a few moments, turning his attention back to the screen.

"That's because the enemy knows no one is insane enough to try and fly below them." Rooster decides to speak up, challenging my Dad.