15

..............................

"Mom, I need you... I love you."

River's words reverberated through the silence, penetrating the core of my being. The desperation in his voice ignited a whirlwind of emotions within me—love, guilt, and determination clashed, each vying for dominance. Gripping the armrest, I sought solace in its solidity, as if it could bridge the vast physical and emotional distance between us.

"Don't think too much, Kali. He's gonna be okay," Damon's attempt at reassurance struck a nerve. How could anyone truly comprehend the depth of my anguish, the torment tearing at my very soul? My jaw clenched, my knuckles turned white, as I battled to contain the storm brewing within.

In my mind, the events unfolded like a relentless loop, each scene replaying with searing clarity. The weight of guilt pressed upon my shoulders, an unyielding burden of failure. As a leader, as a mother, I had faltered. My heart bellowed in agony, its relentless beat a constant reminder of my shortcomings. A seething desire for vengeance surged through my veins, threatening to consume all reason.

My aura darkened, radiating a sinister and foreboding energy that enveloped those around me. The intensity of my emotions permeated the air, stifling any semblance of normalcy. They could sense the abyss that consumed me, the abyss that pushed me perilously close to the edge of sanity. I could feel their trepidation, their awareness of the unleashed demons within.

An intense gaze bore into my soul, piercing and unrelenting. I didn't need to look up to know it belonged to , Killiam Harenzyade. The mere thought of him aiding in my son's rescue was an irony I could hardly fathom.

Flashback
"Reine, I'm afraid that we might not have any allies in Los Angeles. It will take hours to gather a rescue team," Elijah, my head of security, spoke with a mixture of fear and desperation, his fingers frantically dancing across the keyboard. Anger surged within me, propelling me towards Elijah and Angel, their eyes wide with anticipation.

"We don't have fucking hours!" I spat, venom dripping from my words. I moved with purpose, closing the distance between us. "River well-being is my top priority. I don't care what the fuck you do, but you better find a way to help him, or I'll rip you apart with my bare hands."

Elijah's face drained of color, beads of sweat forming on his brow as he nodded fervently. Damon and Angel scurried around, making calls, desperately seeking any lifeline that could save my son. Amidst the chaos, my mind raced, searching for alternatives, for any shred of hope against the insurmountable odds.

"I can help," a deep, velvety voice cut through the tumult. I turned sharply, my gaze fixated on Killiam as he rose from his seat, his approach marked by detached nonchalance. Suspicion clouded my features as my eyes narrowed. "I control the drug trade in that city. I can be of assistance."