Chapter 2: WELCOME TO HEADSPACE

OMORI and the rest of the kids continue up the staircase. The stairway itself gets narrower the farther they walk up it to the point where they have to resort to crawling. Once at the top of the staircase, OMORI sees an opening he can crawl through. KEL shoves his way past AUBREY, HERO, and OMORI and is the first to crawl through the opening. OMORI follows him, not having reacted to being shoved out of the way.

Once he is out, he looks behind to see he had just climbed out a tree stump, though it was a pretty big one. He then looks around at his surroundings. He sees they are in a forest of some kind. He sees trees as far as the eye can see with the only exceptions being paths leading north, south, west, and east of the stump. He looks up to see the same purple sky that was in the room, stars and objects all. But, this time he sees no big yellow cat.

HERO makes his way out of the stump and brushes himself off. KEL opens his arms as wide as he can, takes a deep breath, and shouts, "OH YEAH!! FRESH AIR AT LAST!!". "Gotta love that nature." he says as he turns back towards HERO and OMORI. "Well, let's go." KEL says as he begins to walk the path south of the stump. "Hey wait a sec!" AUBREY shouts from the stump, struggling to crawl out. "Help me up, guys! I'm stuck." she shouts at the three of them. KEL walks towards AUBREY. "Only if you say please!" he says in a playful tone. "KEL, stop messing around and get me out of here." she says, annoyed. "Okay, okay... fine." KEL says reluctantly. KEL walks over to AUBREY and gives her a big pull. KEL gets AUBREY free, but stumbles backward and falls. "Hmph! Took you long enough!" AUBREY pouts to KEL. KEL gets up, rubbing the back of his head. "Well sorry, princess..." he says as he rolls his eyes.

OMORI and the rest of the kids are walking down the path south of the stump when they spot an opening at the end of the path. AUBREY takes off towards the end of the path and KEL and HERO run after her. OMORI doesn't run though, he continues walking at the same speed until he reaches the opening. Once there, he walks through and sees a playground. The playground is surrounded by trees with an exception of a path that leads south and out of the playground. The playground looks like a regular playground. It has a swing set, a sand pit, some monkey bars, a slide, and even a tetherball pole. He sees other kids on the playground as well. He spots one kid swinging on the swing set, two kids playing tetherball with each other, two kids taking turns going down the slide, two kids playing hopscotch in the middle of the playground, and two other kids lying down looking at the sky.

He hears AUBREY shout, "MARI! BASIL!". He looks over to where AUBREY is yelling and sees two kids sitting on a picnic blanket enjoying a picnic. One of the kids is a girl with long hair and is wearing a schoolgirl outfit. The other is a boy with short, frizzy hair wearing a flower crown. He is also wearing a green shirt with light blue overalls. AUBREY, KEL, and HERO run over to them while OMORI walks. "Oh, hello AUBREY! Hello, everyone! How are you all doing today?" the girl says with a big smile on her face. "KEL is being mean to me again!" AUBREY says as she crosses her arms. "Oh, no! Not again... How could he?" the girl says while looking worried. "Pshh, I'm not being mean! AUBREY's just being all whiny." KEL says as he looks at AUBREY. "Well, KEL! You've just made a very convincing point. Now I don't know who to believe." the girl says sarcastically. "BELIEVE ME!!" KEL yells. "NO, BELIEVE ME!! " AUBREY yells. HERO sighs. "Settle down, you two... Why does it always have to be like this?" he says, looking fed up with AUBREY and KEL. "Chin up, HERO! Look at you, being all responsible." the girl says while smiling at HERO. "I really like that about you... hehe..." she says, smugly. HERO starts to blush and gets flustered. "Come on, MARI! Not now..." he says nervously. MARI laughs at HERO. "Oh HERO, you know I'm just teasing. You're so cute when you get all flustered!". HERO sighs.

MARI turns towards the boy in overalls. "While we were waiting for you guys, BASIL and I were going through his photo album! Did you guys want to join us?" she asks as she looks at the four of them. "Of course! After all... we're the ones in the pictures, aren't we?" AUBREY says with a smile. KEL tugs on BASIL's overalls. "BASIL, BASIL! GET A LOAD OF THIS!!" he says as he backs up and strikes a pose. "C'mon, BASIL! Take a picture of me!" he says, still holding the pose. "Sorry, KEL. I only take pictures of people when they least expect it." he says in a timid tone. "You like to take photos of people acting naturally when they're not in front of a camera, right BASIL?" HERO asks BASIL. "Yeah... There's something special about everyone living their own lives. Those are the moments I want to capture!" BASIL says with a grin. "So like... we just have to pretend you're not there?" KEL asks BASIL. BASIL lets out a little laugh. "Yeah... I guess you could put it that way." BASIL says timidly. "Sure, I can do that." KEL says with a smirk.