Preface. The Death of Lana Lewis

Disclaimer. Everything you recognize does not belong to me. I only own Lana Lewis and her version of Katherine Pierce. I get nothing from publication, and all the rights go to the show's producers. My ideas, however, belong to me, and I have full rights to them.

Stanford dorm,
2021, 8 Dicembre

Multiverse. An absurd concept, do you think about it?

That was what Lana Lewis was also convinced of as she watched the trailer for Doctor Strange-Multiverse of Madness, as she had already thought after watching the Loki series and then the MCU's third Spider-Man movie.

Sitting on her Stanford dorm's bed, with the computer on her lap and a packet of potato chips beside her, from which she occasionally nibbled, she was undecided about what to watch.

Sure, he had the final two episodes of Wanda Vision to watch, but, honestly, ever since Phase 3 of the franchise wrapped up, with the incredibly close of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers' story arc, his love and interest in the universe had dropped tremendously.

The end was a concept she didn't agree with very much. When her French literature classmate had spoiled the end of Tony Stark and then the absurd choice of Steve Rogers, she was deeply angry with the Hollywood production and with the nasty habit of wanting to find an end to characters who they deserved much more. And perhaps that was the biggest problem.

How often, watching a movie or a TV series, had she wondered why the characters were so idiotic as not to confront each other, to keep each other secret, not to support each other?

She had seen him with Steve Rogers, practically abandoned in the world, and she had seen him in Harry Potter, Twilight, and the list was probably endless. She knew it was all fiction and that a lot was plot-oriented, but sometimes she wondered what it would be like if those universes existed.

Would they have made the same decisions? Would they have done something differently?

She did not know and, perhaps, would never have an answer. She could only let her imagination wander and create new universes in her head with different solutions and, maybe, a little more peace and intelligence.

Soon, she realized that she probably would find nothing new to watch. So, she opened Netflix and scanned her list to decide which TV series she would review, and when her eyes caught that exact title, she put any other choice aside.

Like every time she felt down - and at that time, it was almost her constant - there was only one TV series capable of making her feel even a little better, whether it was because of the familiarity she possessed or because it reminded her of the brilliant childhood of her. So, she let the mouse select The Vampire Diaries, one of her TV series - no, indeed, her favorite universes.

Having no commitments for the rest of the afternoon and being able to relax while avoiding any torture related to her study and condition, Lana let herself be enveloped by the wonders of the series' second season. She knew her first by heart, and she felt she needed a little bit of panache, more than innocent Elena Gilbert falling in love with a vampire without knowing what she was.

Regardless of all the calories it contained, she continued to eat from her packet of chips, wrinkling her nose when she realized those were the last handfuls. She should have treasured them since, in addition to that now nearly finished pack, she had only one left other, well hidden inside her closet and away from the quick hands of her roommate.

She was happy enough to share the dorm with someone like Josie. The girl was very talkative and full of life, and, in her no-moments, she could lift her. However, she was such an outgoing type that finding her in her room before 10 pm was alarming, and for a private person like Lana, that was perfect.

She hadn't always been like this, she knew it, but for the past four months, the mere thought of human contact had provoked her to shiver and gasp.

It was only to her mother that she had moved into the Stanford dormitory after giving up her entry into the sisterhood where she was due to go by birthright as all women of her family. If it had been up to her, she would have stayed in her house less than twenty minutes away, as the online classes were still available for that year. Still, there wasn't much she could do with Loren Lewis when she got something in her head, and she had decided that, beyond all, his daughter would leave the nest that August.

So there she was, three months later - five from the worst day of her life -: locked up in her room watching a TV show. It was absurd to think that she would probably be at her best friend's house getting ready to go out just six months earlier on a Friday night.

If that wasn't proof that everything could crumble instantly, she didn't know what else was needed.

She was rewatching the scene where Damon and Kat kissed at the Salvatore Boardinghouse after her return to Mystic Falls, and she was ready to see the vampire break the heart of the most profound and most sensitive vampire in the show, but at that moment, somebody opened the door of her room so hard to hit the wall and cause a loud thud.

She was ready to scold her roommate for her hustle and bustle when instead of Josie's long brown hair and bright green eyes, she saw a darker, angrier, almost madman face.

She did not have time to say a word, to be frightened, or to focus on the gun the boy was holding before three shots were fired and three bullets were smashed into her chest. The grip on the computer gave out, the chips smeared with blood, like the teal sheets she and her mother had bought three months ago, and her body, her young and newly eighteen-year-old body, slumped against the mattress as blood filled her lungs and choked her and the pain and loss of blood clouded her mind.

She didn't try to ask for help; the thought was light years away from her mind as a small smile from her slid across her lips. Maybe that was all she really wanted, or perhaps it was because she was happy that someone had finally dared to do it. Still, as the world began to blur, she just thought about how happy and grateful she was that it was finally over, that she would no longer have to force herself to open her eyes to see a new day with nothing to give her. There was no anger, just awareness as she recognized the person who had attacked her, and she hoped the world would be kind to him.

And as her conscience left her, she had time to see what had once been her best friend smile triumphantly before shooting herself in the head, not before saying a few words that would haunt her for a long time and that she would never forget, but which she would treasure.

At that moment, she suffered with him until her eyes closed, and for a moment, there was emptiness. Lana almost seemed to wish she had died before because there was nothing better than that peace without ache.

But it only lasted a moment before memories and memories flooded her mind, and a voice, an echo of the last words that her ears had caught, echoed in her brain: "Every action has consequences."

__________________________

Hello and welcome to this story.

English is not my first language, and my level is not yet C1, so I hope you can forgive the mistakes I make.

I hope you appreciate this story and, with it, my Katherine/Lana. Let me know what you think of the story, and feel free to share any suggestions or corrections.

See you soon with the first chapter (ideally tomorrow at this hour),

-Bree