Chapter 1: Into the woods

"You can never be a hero. Not without a quirk."

The words of his idol repeated over and over in his head as Izuku walked to school. He hasn't been able to stop thinking about that moment since it happened a few days prior.

His whole life he was told he couldn't be a hero without a quirk, but he never listened. He kept on believing and trying to reach his dream. But hearing All Might say it... it felt like a piece of him was broken.

Not that Izuku hasn't always felt like that, he has. Even before he got diagnosed as quirkless, he was the weird kid. The kid that would rather read and write and learn, rather than run and climb and jump like the other kids.

No dad. No quirk. No friends.

Izuku Midoriya always felt like he did belong. Like he was in the wrong place or the wrong life entirely.

And maybe he didn't belong.

In the few days that had passed since the sludge villain incident and All Might completely crushing his dreams, Izuku started to wonder if he really didn't belong here. Here in this world of superpowers and superheroes.

It was a sad truth to accept, but he accepted it all the same. But just because he's accepted it, doesn't make it hurt any less.

Whether it be an insult thrown at him directly, someone being unintentionally quirkest, or the bullies that tormented him every day when he got to school, it all hurt.

The bullying had only gotten worse since the day of the sludge villain incident. It had gone from harsh words, threats, and shoves, to death threats, beatings, and suicide baiting.

He was fine. He could deal with it.

Izuku was used to the bullying after dealing with it for his whole life, which is why when a heavy, and already hot hand landed on his shoulder, shoving him onto the pavement harshly, he wasn't very surprised.

He was even less surprised when Kacchan screamed, "Out of my way, Useless Deku!!" as he stepped over his now prone form, but not without a swift kick in the side as he passed.

Izuku watched as his childhood friend and main tormentor walked into school with his lackeys laughing behind him.

This was nothing new, though. Just another miserable day in the miserable life of Izuku Midoriya, the boy who doesn't belong.

Izuku sighed as he stood, brushing the dirt off of his already rough-looking uniform before making his way into the school.

He could already tell that today would be hell.

____________________________

Izuku tried to ignore Kacchan most of the day. Every threat, insult, shove, or punch thrown his way was met with silence and tired eyes. Eventually, Kacchan got bored and by the end of the day was starting to ignore Izuku as well.

Or at least, that's what Izuku thought was happening.

He was about to head home, walking towards the quiet back exit of the school where he was usually able to sneak away without too much trouble or abuse from other students. Not today, apparently.

All the air was forcibly ejected from his lungs as he was harshly shoved against a wall near the back exit, a familiar, hot hand pressing down on his chest, threatening to burn him with explosions at any moment.

"K-Kacchan-!" he managed to squeak out before a few warning pops sent pain sparking through his chest, even through his uniform.

"Shut up, Deku! Do you think you're better than me or somethin'? Huh?! Is that why ignoring me all day?!" Kacchan screamed in his face, making his ears ring slightly. More pops sparked against his chest.