One

Bradley Bradshaw and Sage Kazansky sat together on a train heading towards Miramar, California... their hometown. After years of hard work, training, and sleepless nights, both of them were able to graduate flight school. While Bradley's papers had been pulled, Sage did not mind at all and waited for him so they could graduate together.

When the train arrived in Miramar, the pair of them walked to the hallway where their parents stood.

"Sage!" Sarah Kazansky exclaimed as she moved towards her daughter, her hands outstretched for a hug. Sage accepted it gratefully and hugged her mom, burying her face in her shoulder. After a few seconds, she let go and looked up at her mom's smiling face.

Her dad, Tom Kazansky, was not able to come because he had important Admiral duties to attend to. Her mom was an Admiral too, but she had less to think about.

Meanwhile, Bradley saw his mom, Carole Bradshaw, and immediately ran to her, crashing into her with a bear hug.

While both Bradley and Sage were grown adults, they still loved their parents very much and were not afraid to show it.

After exchanging their greetings with their parents, both of them decided to go to the park. Sage had her own car, so she drove. When they arrived at the park, it was midday.

Both of them got out and started moving in no particular direction until they found themselves at the grave of Bradley's father, Nick Bradshaw.

Sage noticed Bradley's face changing as he leaned down and touched the marble grave, trying to gather some piece of his father. He had died in a plane accident when he was very little, so the only memories he had of him were few and far between. From what he remembered though, he cherished with his life.

He stood back up and brushed his pants from any dirt that clung onto them, then looked at Sage.

"I'm sorry..." Sage said to him, putting an arm around his waist.

"It's okay, at least I can come here any time," Bradley spoke in a soft tone.

Sage gave him a side hug and they walked through the park one more time, pointing out the different names of pilots and higher-ranking officials that were laid to rest there.

————————

Two months later.

"Sage! Can you come down for a minute, please?" Sarah called for her.

"I'm coming!" Sage put her phone down and went downstairs where both Sarah and Tom waited for her.

"You called for me?" She asked, a concerned look on her face because both parents were usually never there at the same time.

"Yes, we just wanted to tell you some good news!" Tom smiled widely. "You were accepted into TOPGUN! I know your commanding officer put in good word for you to get in and it was your dream."

Sage still looked skeptical. "You... didn't pull any strings to make sure I was guaranteed a spot, did you?"

She eyed her parents warily. Both of them had enough influence to get her into any school she wanted, and TOPGUN was the best.

"No, honey, we didn't," Sarah said tenderly. "You did it all on your own!"

Sage hesitated for a second and then broke out in a cheerful smile. "I did it! I was accepted! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it in! I've gotta tell Bradley!"

"Woah there, Sage! Not before you give both of us a hug!" Sarah laughed as she went to Sage and picked her up, spinning her around the room. She handed her to Tom, and he set her down after giving her a big hug.

"Okay, run along now, but be back before dinner!" Tom shouted the last part because Sage was already out the door.

"What are we going to do with her?" Sarah asked him playfully.

————————

Sage made it to Bradley's house in record time and rang the doorbell while panting. She managed to even her breathing when Carole opened the door.

"Hey, Sage! Come in, I'll get Bradley for you," she smiled sweetly and closed the door once Sage was fully inside.

Pictures of Bradley and Nick were scattered throughout the house, and Sage smiled sadly while looking at them.

"Hey stranger, what brings you here?" Bradley asked her. She slightly jumped at the sound of his voice and turned towards him.

"Bradley! I got big news! I was accepted into TOPGUN!" She said in an excited voice. Bradley's face fell ever so slightly.

"Congratulations! You deserve it," he looked at her, a tinge of sadness in his eyes.

"What's wrong? Didn't you get a letter?" She asked him.

"...No," he paused. "I suppose it was because Maverick pulled my papers. I have less experience than you."

"Don't be sad! I'm sure you will make it in next year!" Sage tried to cheer him up.

"Yeah, but you'll be gone for more than three months, what am I going to do without you?" He asked her.

"You silly goo-" Sage paused and rephrased her statement. "You're silly! I'll be able to visit you at certain times during the program. I won't be stuck there the whole time!"

Bradley's face lit up a little more upon hearing that news. "You're not leaving me for good?"

"Of course not! You're my best friend, I would never leave you for anything," she gave him a hug.

He smiled and returned the hug, squeezing her tight, knowing that he would not be able to do this for a long time. She sighed happily onto his shoulder. Carole watched them from behind and smiled, happy that they were such good friends.

Once they finished their hug, Sage had to say goodbye. She knew that she would be allowed to stay at her house since it was close to the base, so the only packing she had to do was changes of clothes and shoes.

She packed all of her belongings in a suitcase and it sat by her door, ready for the day that she would leave for TOPGUN.

————————

That day finally arrived, and Carole, Bradley, Tom, and Sarah gathered around Sage. She gave each of them a long and tight hug before taking her suitcase and driving to the base.

On the way there, she felt tears forming in her eyes because she would not be able to see Bradley every day unless he visited her house during nighttime. She knew Carole would never let him, so she had to depend on the times she could leave the base during the day.

She got out of the car and looked up at the giant military base. She took a deep breath and walked inside, not knowing who she would meet or how her life would change forever with just one guy...

————————