Chapter 2: Home Sweet Home

(Y/n's POV)

After a long and boring plane ride back home, I called a taxi to take me home. The first place I asked for was Sam's house. He and I have been friends since we were kids. Even if I'm older than him, I grew up with him. He's like a little brother to me. A really annoying but fun brother. The taxi stopped in front of the house and paid in advance, and I stepped out while grabbing my duffel bag. I stepped up to the door and rang the doorbell.

The door opened and the familiar mother of my best friend stepped up, her face immediately brightened up and she smiled.

"Oh my God, (Y/n)! Welcome back!" her happy expression made me smile and she pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

"Hey, Mrs. Witwicky." I said through her tight hug. She pulled me away and held my shoulders.

"Oh please, you can call me Judy, hon! I've known you since you were so tiny and since Sam was still in diapers. You don't need to be so formal." Judy said with a smile.

"Force of habit, I guess." I chuckled nervously.

Ron came into the room and saw me, and he smiled. "At ease, soldier."

"Mr. Witwicky. At your service!" I said jokingly, and they all shared a laugh.

"What are you even doing here? I thought you were stuck in Afghanistan for another few months!" Judy asked, taking me over to the couch.

"Well, I kinda missed being here since my deployment, so I asked my captain if I could come back and see Sammy again since I'm not really needed in Qatar right now. One boring plane ride and taxi ride, and here I am!" I said.

"You could've at least called, I would've had the yard finished before you got here." Ron said.

"It's alright, Ron. No need to worry." I brushed it off, then it clicked to me. "Where's Sam, anyway?"

"I was just about to go pick him up from school. If you want, you can tag along." Ron said, grabbing his keys.

"And miss the chance to embarrass my best friend, count me in!" I said, hopping up off the couch.

"Alright, let's go."

Ron and I piled into his car and drove towards Sam's school, and it was early before they got out so we waited for a little bit.

"So, Sam's gonna be getting his first car, huh?"

"If he can get the 3 A's I asked for. He's already given me the $2,000. Let's just say.. I made a promise to him." Ron said.

2,000? Even that's not enough unless you're getting a piece of shit. I mean...he's always been kind of a cheapskate for as long as I've known him. The bell rang and we watched as students piled out of the school building. Soon, we saw the familiar face of Sam running out of the school with a paper in his hand.

"Yes! Yes, yes." Sam ran into the car, excitingly and sat next to his father.

"So?" Ron asked.

"A-minus. It's an A, though." Sam said, giving him the paper.

"Wait, wait, wait. I can't see." He looked at it. "It's an A."

"So, I'm good?"

"You're good." Sam punched the air in excitement, not even noting me. I cleared my throat and he looked back at me.

"What's she doing here?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Am I not allowed to see my childhood friend? Damn, then maybe I should just go back overseas for the next, what? 4 years?" I sarcastically complained. Sam rolled his eyes and looked forward as Ron started driving down the road.