Prologue

from tophia's point of view

I wake up while suffocating. Internally panicked, I jolt up with a screech, and my dog, Hershey, rolls off the bed with me. I almost decided to lay on the ground some more, but I was interrupted by a whine. "Stupid dog," I grumbled. "Always waking me up."

I yawn and am suddenly hit with my horrid morning breath. I walk up to my small closet and pull on a new t-shirt, one with the brand 'Nirvana' on it. So expensive! I don't need to change my pants, or anything else. I just wear the same ones everyday. It saves a lot of money, even though money isn't an issue around here.

Oh! I must have forgotten to tell you! I'm the daughter of the most renowned mafia boss in the world, Daddychu! He provides me with a house and allowance, but I hate him anyways. He once offered me $200 to clean my room! Stupid dad, I won't put myself through hell just to make it out of here.

I go into my bathroom and start brushing my dry hair. "When did I bathe last?" I think to myself. It doesn't matter, I look the same as I always do. I brush my eyebrows to get the dandruff off of them, but I don't do much else with my appearance, nor do I wash my face. I'm just naturally pretty! 

I waddle downstairs, disregarding Hershey laying on the floor, not moving. As soon as I go into the kitchen, my father yells my name.

"Tophia!" He shouts. I am taken aback by his behavior. I haven't even done anything yet!

"What is it dad?" I respond in an annoyed tone.

"You need to start working around the house more, or get a job. I don't care if you got fired from Dunkin for hygiene issues, but you need to find a way to get a life fast!" He yells.

My heart sunk. I felt like crying. Why would he even say that to me?

"What do you mean?" I bellow, unashamed that everyone in our neighborhood can hear me. "You're the one who needs to get a life! I've been slaving on my tiktok and youtube, making videos for my followers! You wouldn't understand!" My yelling breaks the windows.

"Tophia, if you keep doing this, you're going to be nothing but a fat lump of lard for the rest of your life. No one will remember you. You'll be useless. I can't have you disgracing MY family like that!" He starts to cry.

"Dad-" I start, but he cuts me off. 

"Tophia, I'm done hearing you out! I can't trust your judgement anymore! I've already signed you up for a high-school equivalency program, you start today."

"WHAT?" I yell, my hot breath making the flowers on the table wilt. "YOU CAN'T JUST DO THAT TO ME DAD! YOU NEED TO DO STUFF AROUND HERE TOO-"

He interrupts me. "It's a boarding school. Neither me or your mother will have to deal with you again. The bus will pick you up at 12:00. Start packing, you need to get your life together."

With a scream of rage, I run up the stairs, tripping on the 4th step but still making it up there. I collapse on my bed, crushing Hershey again, but I can't be bothered to get up.