I think we almost died (chapter 3)

Kana's POV

The hairs on the back of my neck suddenly rise. And my body moves on its own.

"Get down!" I yell as I pull her body to the ground.

I hear a couple of thuds and notice some darts stuck in the tree right behind where Azaelea was standing.

"W-whats going on." I hear her say nervously

Then I notice about 5 men emerge from the trees, their faces hidden and they're wearing all black.

My instincts go into overdrive as I quickly stand up and push Zae behind me.

"Azaelea, stay behind me," I whisper yell at her.

The men continue to approach until we're surrounded.

"Step aside, Ms. We have business with this girl."

"Zae, do you know them?" I whisper to her.

"No, no, the fuck, I don't," she whisper yells back.

"Yeah, sorry guys, not a chance. I suggest you leave now."

"This is my last warning, little girl. Step aside. I wouldn't want a pretty thing like you getting hurt."

I physically gag while I continue to hold my ground. When one of them moves to grab me, I send a quick punch to his face, then kick at his ankles, effectively knocking him out.

"What the fuc-" I hear one of the guys start, but he didn't get a chance to finish before I deliver a kick to his gut.

Suddenly they come at me all at once. And I've never been so glad to have been trained in martial arts.

My moves are swift and brutal as I continue to deliver kicks and punches in a series of combos until they're all down. I quickly survey the area for more people. I reach behind me and grab onto the hand of Zae tightly.

"Come on, let's get out of here," I say between pants.

I pull her, so she's standing by my side as we speed walk out of the park to my car.

My senses are on high alert from the strange encounter. When I see my car in sight, I pick up the pace. I unlock my car and open the door for Zae to get in. I hop in the driver's seat and pull off with speed.

Finally, feeling somewhat safe with the other cars on the crowded street, I feel okay enough to start talking.

"Are you okay?" I ask her

"I'm fine, I think we as most died? ... Also how did you do that, and why did you stay and protect me? You don't even know me?"

I glance at her from the corners of my eye. Pondering her question in my head. The need to protect hit me like a truck at that moment. I think I'd even be willing to die to keep her safe. At least, that's what it felt like. Saving her from my creepy thoughts, I instead answer.

"Now, what kind of person would I be if I let my friend die on our first date," I respond, trying to be more light-hearted.

"Do you have any clue as to why these people were coming after you?" I decide to continue the conversation.