5- All is(n't) Fair in Love and War

Molly was woken from slumber when the new wards on her and Arthur's floo system alerted her that someone had come into their home. Sitting up in bed, she shook Arthur's shoulder as she reached for her wand in the nightstand beside her bed.

"Get up," she hissed at her husband.

Awake now, Arthur all but rolled out of bed and into his slippers, wand clutched in one fist. "Who do you think it is?" he asked her.

Molly shrugged. "We aren't expecting anyone and the Order usually calls before they bring somone over to let us know–even if it's just five minutes ahead of time."

Nodding, Arthur said, "I think we'll have to investigate."

Stomach doing a flip, Molly agreed, "Yes, we will."

A few minutes later, they use the shadows cast by the kitchen doorway to their advantage as they peek inside. Molly lets out a whoosh of air. It was just Mimi and Junior Fenwick who came through the floo. The two were dressed in their jim-jams, just standing in the middle of the room; Mimi looked lost and Junior, sleepy. Though, why they were here was entirely unknown to her. Putting a hand on Arthur's arm, Molly indicated she'd be the one to go in and question the children.

Stepping into the room, she smiled at the girl and toddler. "Hullo, dears," she greeted.

Mimi's eyes found hers.

"What's brought you by so late?"

Blinking her eyes rapidly now, Mimi whispered, "I couldn't sleep at Grandpa's, and Dad is at St. Mungo's again."

Molly frowned. "I'm sorry to hear that, dear," she said.

Picking her brother up and hugging him like a teddy, Mimi whispered, "I'm scared he's gonna die."

"Oh Mimi…"

Tears spilling down her cheeks, the girl whispered, "I go off to Hogwarts next week. I can't leave Junior with Grandpa all alone. He gave Junior a cup of wine instead of juice last night at dinner. Grandpa's damn near blind. What if he does it again, Missus Molly? What if he gives him something even worse than wine? Junior could die like Dad might."

Molly's heart broke for the girl.

"Come here," she said.

Seconds later, she was hugging the girl and her little brother. Brushing a hand through Mimi's bed-head, Molly said nothing for a long while. Finally, she suggested, "Why don't I take you back to your grandfather's? I'm sure he must be looking for you two by now. Perhaps, while I'm there, I can convince him to let me watch Junior after you go to Hogwarts if your dad isn't out of St. Mungo's by then. We won't mention the wine incident, but I'll let him know you're concerned that something could happen because his vision is poor."

"He's really stubborn," Mimi told her.

Molly smiled. "So am I."

Mimi smiled back as Junior began to fuss from being caught in their embrace for so long. Holding her hands out for the toddler, Molly was pleased by how easily the girl relinquished him to her. The first time she'd met the siblings, almost two years ago now, Mimi had been very insistent that only she and her father could hold him. It pleased Molly immensely that Mimi now trusted her with her little brother and even more than that, to come to her when she was scared or had a problem.

Now, with Junior in her grip, Molly made a few funny faces at him to clear away his disgruntled expression. When he began to giggle, she laughed in triumph. Moving the little boy to one hip, she offered her now free hand to Mimi and looked back to where Arthur was hovering in the doorway. "We'll be back, my love," she promised.