Chapter 5: The Sunlight

Tower of Dove Chapter 5: The Sunlight

Miette arrived early, shortly after the sun had risen. She was bouncing up and down in excitement and her silky hair bounced with her, but Lilyana only groaned at her energy. Her friend was really too involved with other people’s affairs.

“Put your shoes on and let’s go quickly,” she said as Lilyana descended the staircase. “We shouldn’t keep this new boy toy of yours waiting.”

“He is not my boy toy, and I’ll take however long I want to leave,” Lilyana said as she reached the last step. The stairs were located only a few yards away from the front door, next to the hall, but to aggravate Miette further she walked as if she were stuck in slow-motion. The irritated scowl on her friend’s face was definitely payment enough.

She proceeded to slip her light blue shoes on at an even slower pace.

“Those don’t match your yellow dress, idiot,” Miette said, pointing at the shoes.

Lilyana put on the other shoe as slowly as she could manage and smiled. “I don’t really care if I match.”

“Amethyst will if she sees you.”

“Then let’s hope that Amethyst doesn’t see me.”

Miette bit her lip as she thought of something else to try and persuade Lilyana. Then she said, “Your boy toy would probably prefer that you match and look cute.”

Lilyana stood up, finally having fit both shoes snuggly on her gigantic feet, and glared at her friend. “I don’t care whether or not he thinks I’m cute, and he is not my boy toy, so stop using that weird term so freely.”

“What’s a boy toy?”

Lilyana and Miette both froze. They hadn’t even noticed Posy had come down the stairs from her room, but when they looked, there she was in her silver nightgown, staring at them curiously with her big blue eyes.

Lilyana raised an eyebrow at Miette. She was the one who had started this, so she would have to explain.

Miette sighed and knelt down to Posy's height—she was small, even for a nine-year-old—and said, “A boy toy is, um, a toy. A very fun toy that also is a boy and you can play with this toy and make it do all kinds of fun things, but they’re very difficult to find, so I was just teasing your sister about it. Don’t ever try to get a boy toy yourself, Posy, because, um, they have laser beams that can shoot out of their eyes when the toy isn’t treated right.”

Lilyana covered her eyes with her hand and shook her head; Miette was horrible with excuses. Shooting laser beams? Really?

Posy stared at Miette as if she thought the girl was stupid. “You’re lying to me,” she said.

Miette let out a nervous laugh. “Well, yes, I am.”

Posy rolled her eyes and patted Miette on the arm. “Fair enough. I’ll know when I’m older, correct?”

Miette nodded. “Exactly.”

Lilyana laughed and shook her head at the both of them. “Posy, come here and give me a hug,” she said.

Posy happily obliged and hopped over, wrapping her arms around her sister’s waist and burying her face in her stomach. Lilyana laughed and kissed the top of her head.

When Posy let go, she asked, “Where are you two going?”

“To meet with a new, uh, friend of mine,” Lilyana said.

Posy’s face lit up. Oh, no. Lilyana knew what was coming next. She and Miette exchanged a look.

“Lilyana, please, can I come and meet this friend, too?” Posy pleaded.