Chapter 1

"Scalpel"

I made the first incision then cut through the first layers of fat and muscle to the site of the hernia.

"Sponge"
"There it is..."
"Looks like we got there just in time...'
"Clamp"
"Suction, please"

One hour twenty minutes after the first incision the operation was finished.
I felt drained, I'd hadn't had any sleep since the last twenty-four hours. I'd been performing operation after operation.

Half-unconscious, I shuffled down the poorly-lit corridors to the on-call room when I bumped into someone. I forced my eyes ope. The person I'd bumped into was about six feet five tall with stormy black hair and dark blue-black eyes. He was extremely handsome and there was a hint of familiarity.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see where I was going" I mumbled while rubbing my eyes with my fists. I was about to continue my way when a nurse came rushing up to me

"Dr.Mitchell there's an accident in emergency room four. They need you right now"

"But I've been working since last night and-...."

The nurse had already rushed off

"******* ********, couldn't he had have waited till I got some sleep? Un-feeling ********..."
I mumbled to myself as I walked on unaware that the tall handsome stranger was watching me.

When I reached the emergency room I took one look at the battered blood-covered man lying infront of me and I was wide awake.

"Get him to the operating room stat!" I yell
I watch, fidgeting as they strap him onto a gurney and wheel him off to the operating room.

"Get three IV lines in him" I order
"Give him an oxygen. I want some blood sent down, stat. Call records to get his blood type"

I ran my fingers over his scalp
"There's heavy edema. I want a head scan and X-rays"

"Whatever the **** happened to him?"
"Motorcycle accident. He got hit by a bus. Wasn't wearing a helmet"
"Motorcycle accident my ***. He was beaten up' I yell

The man was indeed very severely beaten up. His face was barely unrecognizable

"Who the **** brought him here?"

"Two men. They were arrogant as hell. Kept yelling at us to call the ******* doctor down quick"

"Are they still here?"

"Yes, I think so"

It was obvious they'd been the ones to beat this guy up.

"Send them to my office. I want to talk to them and know why they did it before I report anything to the police"

"Alright Doctor"

Fifteen minutes later there was a knock at the door of my tiny office.

"Come in"

The door opened and the same tall handsome man I'd ran into earlier walked in as well as a short but heavy-built hunky guy with him.

"You wanted to see me?" The guy said in a husky voice that felt like velvet

"Yes, please take a seat"

Both of them sat down and I continued,
"I wanted to talk to you before I reported the accident to the police" I said with heavy emphasis on the word 'accident'

The attractive stranger's expression turned dark and cold somehow making him even more gorgeous as before.

"Mr. Err.."
"Moretti. Micheal Moretti" he says a bittersweet edge to his voice

I stare at him. This was Micheal Moretti! The mafia man! How come had I not recognized him before? I'd seen him a couple of times in the news and magazines but nothing could have prepared me for the over-powering magnetism of the man. He was even more handsome in person.

Jesus Christ! What is wrong with me? This man is a murderer and I'm saying he's handsome?

"Well Mr.Moretti this is obviously not a motorcycle accident is it?"
"That's none of your business" he growled
"Well actually, you see, it is my business as the victim is my patient. It's all my fucking business to know what happened to him"
"Hey, you don't talk to Mr.Moretti that way you-"

The hunky guy started to speak but stopped upon receiving a cold glare from Micheal Moretti. He then nodded towards the door and the hunky guy huffed and left the office. Then Micheal Moretti turned back to me.

"Now listen here. You know very well who I am and I think you're smart enough to keep your ass out of this. All you have to do is make him better and you get paid for that. Done"

He leans towards me and his voice takes on a bone-chilling tone

"Or you're stupid and you get involved and as a result ruin your career. You see what I mean?"

I gasp. He's threatening me? Me? Okay Moretti, let's see

"I will definitely add black-mailing to the report" I say coolly

His dark blue eyes turned completely black. I couldn't even see the pupils

He laughed darkly, "I don't blackmail people. I think you know me enough to believe that. You're a great doctor and I don't want you loose what you do best"

I stay quiet for a few moments to process this
I'm honestly so tired I could fall unconscious right here any minute now.
He stands up, "I'll leave you think about it, okay doc? It's for you own good". He leaves

I put my head on the table and pass out.