Chapter 4

ONE WEEK LATER

I wake up to the sound of the telephone ringing.
I glance at the clock through meeched eyes.

5:42 am

“*******, what the heck do they want at this time of the morning?” I say to myself as I sit up and grab the receiver

“Hello?”
“Dr.Mitchell?”
I sigh, “Yes?”
“Doctor we need you in OR Nine stat”
I sigh, “Alright, I’ll be there”
“Don’t sleep in Doctor”
“I won’t”

I lift myself off the bed and trudge towards the elevator. I call for it and unusually it comes almost immediately. I step inside and lean against the cool metal when the elevator stops and someone else enters. I open my eyes lightly to look at the other passenger. My vision is blurry but I’m able to make out dark hair and tall muscly stance. I narrow my eyes and see two blue-black eyes staring back at me.

Oh God, oh no, oh ****. Please don’t let it be him, not him, not him, not him, not him.

“Are you sure you shouldn’t go back to sleep?” comes the familiar deep voice
I open my eyes completely and roll them
“As if I have a choice” I say scoffing
His eyes move down from my face and move down my body, stopping at my feet only to move back up

Is he checking me out? Yes, he is!

I was wearing simple blue jeans and a white sleeveless top that clung to all the right places. I wasn’t wearing my white coat yet so his eyes trailed over my skinny arms. They lingered on my grandmother’s ring I’d slipped on my middle finger and something seemed to change in his expression. His eyes darkened and he looked almost….furious.

“What are you doing here?” I ask suddenly
He raises his eyebrows at the concern in my voice

“I won’t have to stitch up another lot of wounds and cut would I?”
He chuckles lightly and shakes his head
“Don’t worry, I haven’t beaten up anyone yet”
“Yet” I repeat, emphasizing the word
He chuckles again
“So what are you doing here then?”
“You make it sound like I can’t come to the hospital”
“Well, it’s not like you come here to teach patients how to dance”
“I’d like to give it a try”
I raise my eyebrows
He bends a little so his face is closer to mine
“Can’t it be that I came here to see someone?”
My heart starts beating faster and my pulse throbs.

What is that supposed to mean?

I back away and bump against the cool metal. He smirks at my obvious discomfort and straightens

Why’s the ******* floor not coming?

I turn to look at the button compartment and realize that the elevator had been stopped. My head shot towards Micheal Moretti.

He had stopped it? Why?

He followed my gaze toward the buttons and panic settled in his face. I blinked and then it was gone

Had I imagined it?

His hand shot and the doors slid open. I stepped out on the first floor and walk off without so much as a glance back at Micheal Moretti. I felt confused and frustrated as I made my way to operating room nine.

He had flirted with me! What did he think I was? Stupid *******! The ******* will irritate me to the point where I’ll loose my mind.

I’d gotten a grip on my anger by the time I reached the operating room. Whoever I’d had to operate on was a lucky fellow that he hadn’t had to see my wrath.
The next morning when I was heading to the parking lot to get my car to leave Annie entered.
“Hey! How you’re doing?” I asked
She smiled at me “Great! What about you?”
“Just the usual “fine” ”
She giggled  “Leaving so soon?”
“Oh yes, I’ve only been working since the last twenty-four hours, slipping out early. No big deal” I say with a shrug of my shoulders, sarcasm practically dripping from my voice
She burst out laughing, “I’m only just starting now. I wish you could take me away with you”
“Fat chance of that sister!”
‘Well see you tomorrow?”
‘Sure, um, hey why don’t we meet up for a coffee or something?”
“I’d love that but Barker put me on a thirty-six hour shift starting now” she says waving her wrist in the air and pointing to her watch
I nod “Yeah I understand, whenever you’re free then? Why don’t you give me your number?”
“Ofcourse”
I got into my car and drove off after we’d exchanged numbers and said our goodbyes
The sun was rising and the sky was so beautiful. The roads were nearly empty so I stopped my car in the middle of the road. I was enjoying the view when suddenly another car bumped into mine from behind and the driver seemed to sit on the horn. The loud noise ripped my ears out. I got out of the car and slammed the door behind, cursing and raging loudly

“**** you *******, are you going to donate me a pair of ******* ears? ‘Cause you ripped mine out with your goddamned honking! Shut the **** up! Mad sick ******! You *******! Get out out of your car! I want to punch you hard in the head, maybe then your brain will rattle back in place!”
I’d never been angrier, this weird sick **** had ruined my moment of peace. I walked around my car and stopped dead in my tracks, the car that had hit mine was a limousine and guess who was sitting in the driver seat? That’s right, Micheal ******* Moretti. Why did I have to see that ******* shit-man again and again? God, if there’s one up there, I beg you to kill that sick ******.

He rolled down the window and the expression he had on his face made me want to slice his throat. If murder weren't against the law I would have done it

Who gives a **** about the law? Get me a knife!

“The **** is wrong with you? Honking like a ******* banshee, you’re sick in the head. Better get yourself a psychiatrist while you still can” I yell, breathing heavily.

I was expecting a rude comeback but instead he just looked amused. His eyes took me in and I caught a flicker of appreciation in them. I’d been wearing denim shorts and that reached my thighs and skimpy pink T-shirt that hugged my small curves and rose up revealing my flat stomach everytime I flung my arms around.

I give him best death glare and turned around and got back in my car, then drove off.
As I was driving back home I wished to the sweet gods to never show me his ******* face again but deep down some sixth sense part of me screamed out that this wasn’t the last time I’ll be seeing him.