The Mangroves of Borneo

Secrets of the Mangroves

The mangroves are teeming with secrets, abundant with life.

Intertwining roots point to the air, desperately reaching out for help.

The trees are grieving in pain, but who is listening?

Mangroves play a huge part on this planet, and are vital to the ecosystem, shielding the Earth against climate change by absorbing and storing carbon long term. Because of deforestation and other destructive human activities, these areas are severely under threat, along with the amazing creatures that live within it. Mangrove conservation and regrowth are essential, and some organizations around the world have been working together to combat this recurring issue.

Birds

Countless species of birds reside deep within the mangroves, including some of the most vibrant ones here in Borneo that we have yet to see. They are probably more elusive than ever before as their homes are always being cleared out, so they rarely venture out into open space.

Some of the birds we have spotted in the mangroves include the Collared Kingfisher, Stork-billed Kingfisher, Striated Heron, Common Iora, Intermediate Egret, Pacific Swallow, Blue-throated Bee-eater, and White-breasted Woodswallow.

Here a Common Iora (Aegithina tiphia) pecked on an already half-eaten leaf, finally stationary after minutes of hopping about. It is one of the creatures that inhibit the mangroves. As these areas are senselessly destroyed, their beloved homes are also stripped away from them. 

Mudskippers

Mudskippers

There is this famous seafood restaurant on a jetty that is suspended on stilts by the sea, where countless Giant Mudskippers and Blue-spotted Mudskippers reside in the mudflats below. We never really looked at them twice even though mudskippers are unique fish that can survive in water and on land (amphibious). They are also the only fish that can blink.

After spotting them, we read about them and realized that their lives are also under threat due to pollution and other human activities. We immediately saw them in a different light.

When it comes to habitat destruction, even if these fish are well-equipped with strong fins and the ability to skip or move quickly on land, that still wouldn't be enough to ensure their survival.

Crabs

When you look closely at the wet sand within the mangroves, you will notice the bright blue claws and legs of the Fiddler Crab. The males have one claw that is significantly larger than the other, whereas for the female both claws are the same size. 

The male uses its huge claw for courtship, and to assist it in fights with other male crabs. May the largest claw win!

There are many species of crabs found in Borneo, varying in colours and patterns. We will definitely have a closer look at them the next time we visit the mangroves.

 We will definitely have a closer look at them the next time we visit the mangroves

Spiders

During our recent visit to the mangroves, we were mere meters away from a Fishing Spider (Dolomedes sp.) that was resting on a mangrove root. We did not spot it until we studied the photographs that we had taken that day. What meant to be a photograph of mangrove roots turned out to be a photograph of this incredible spider in its habitat.

This spider is similar in appearance and size as the Wolf Spider. It gets its name from the way it hunts its prey. It sits patiently at the edge of the water, waiting for unsuspecting prey. When it detects ripples on the surface, it runs across the water, and strikes, delivering a deadly bite. They even hunt fish, and can survive underwater while enclosed in a film of air.

Huge spiders freak us out, as they move so quickly in such a short period of time. The worst part is when the spider you had your eye on disappears the moment you blink. Arachnophobes, we totally get you.

Reptiles

We have not seen any snakes so far during our visits to the mangrove areas, but we have seen a couple of Asian Water Monitors, and earlier this year a large Saltwater Crocodile. The crocodile was way across the river from where we were, so we could only observe it from a distance.

*Refer to the chapter titled "Misunderstood Reptiles of Borneo" in this book on how amazing reptiles are and the need to preserve their status.*

Conservation

Mangroves are paramount in the war against climate change, but if we do not put any effort into saving and preserving them, we are endangering our own lives as well.

We need to raise the awareness about mangrove conservation now more than ever.

Because the truth is, we need the mangroves more than they need us.