Chapter 2 : Preparing the Chessboard

"Did you see her face?"   Whispers across the royal garden as I walk by. "Who's maid was she?" "She is the 3rd Princess's maid" "Do you guys thin-" I stepped on a a stick and suddenly silence filled the whole garden. "Ah, hello to you guys" I smile.

 They flinched at my sudden appearance and quickly bowed down "we-we.. greet the 3rd Princess".  Their actions annoy me, the more I look at them, the more I feel disgusted. "Yes, you may rise up" I say with a calm voice. "I'm in need of your help" I smile as I signal them to stand straight. "H-how can we help you your highness." they said trying to hide their scared faces, so I started to giggle. "Don't be afraid, as you know today's his Majesty's birthday, so I want you to prepare a bouquet with the plant that is in my custody" 

I smile, and they look at each other confused for 5 minutes with no movements "Are you guys deaf" they flinch by my bittersweet voice "Pa-pardon?" "I asked if you guys are deaf, cause I clearly gave you an order" I look at them with intimidating eyes."No-no that's not it your highness, we will prepare it right away" The three maids looked scared but went away to bring me the tools and the plant.  As I waited for them, I walked around the garden and noticed a purple Hyacinth, the flower my mother died to plant, !" sorrow and a desire for forgiveness..." I mumble in a small voice.

I looked away and walked straight noticing other flowers and plants. "Your highness, we have prepared everything" said the maid with her head bowed "Good, lets go then" I smile and walk away giving a small glance at the hyacinth before leaving. 

.

.

"Your majesty, please I plead you" said in sorrow the man with the title Count with the name Gilbert Armion Flartikly. "Please, allow my first son to wed one of the princesses" He pleads with his head bowed down. "silence Count... I do not wish to hear more of you" The king looks at him with disgust.. "Why must I let your son, marry one of my daughters? Does he find himself worthy?" He looked down on him intimidatingly, making the count feel pressured..Other officials gathered in the room and threw some soft and quiet laughter. "Is this not an insult, oh Count Flartikly towards his majesty?" Duke Martin Leon Deleonards spoke with an unnoticeable grin. "Specially on his birthday... how rude of you count" He is provoking him. The count trembles from fear and anger as he feels humiliated in front of all officials. His Majesty let out a laugh "We will continue this conversation another day Count" The king stood up from his throne "I have a morning meal with my family" He spoke in calm voice as he started walking down from his seat and every official bowed down as he walked out of the room. "Seriously count how much you want embarrass yourself?" Said an official with a smirk, "Honestly, how low can you get?" Said another official as they started walking out one by one, leaving the count there alone and humiliated.

.

.

.

.

In the dining room, every princess was present and sat in their own place as they waited for his Majesty to come. Beside His Majesty's seat was The Queen's seat, and on the left was the first princess, Julianne , then followed by the second princess, Dmitri, followed by the third princess Lilian, the fourth princess, Linda, and the youngest princess, Leilan.  Everyone except Lilian were from the same mother, the current queen. Lilian's mother was a maid who forced herself onto his majesty by poisoning him, and sleeping with him. She was given the concubine position since she was carrying Lilian, who has his majesty's blood. Lilian's hair is sole proof that she is his majesty's daughter, black hair as the night, sparkly in the day, sole proof of royal blood. Lilian's hair was the blackest hair in the royal family.

Everyone kept their silence until his majesty barged in with a smile on his face "My beautiful daughters, I missed you all.." His voice was sweet and warm "Father" with excitement spoke to all daughters whom missed their father. His majesty sat down on his which was the center, the first daughter stood up and walked to his majesty, "Happy birthday father, I wish you the best" she kissed him on the cheek. His majesty let out a big smile "Thank you my daughter" Later came the second the second daughter holding a box with her "Happy birthday father, may God bless you" she kissed him on the cheek "Thank you, my daughter and may God bless you too." He smiled brightly and received his present. Then next came Lilian holding a bouquet of calendula, "Father," with a smile she gives him the bouquet, "Thank you for existing" His majesty gazed at her "May God bless you with good health, and strength" she smiled brightly as his majesty and everyone stared at her in shock. "My daughter.." his majesty's eyes became teary "Thank you, thank you so much" He cleans his tears and gives her a smile. Then next came the fourth daughter, "Happiest birthday, father, may you live till your 100's" she smile and kissed his cheek, his majesty let out a laugh "Oh my daughter, no human has lived that long, but thank you." He kept smiling  and finally the last daughter came "Happy birthday father" she hugs him "Thank you for being my father." His majesty hugs her back, "Oh thank you for being my daughter" Leilan went back to his seat "Actually thank you all for being my daughters" He smiled at everyone. "Well, lets eat shall we?" Said Queen Marietta Sen Fuelarte,  an oversea Princess from the country Fuelarte. "Yes, let's eat". 

The maids started giving their plates with ready food, and everyone started eating. The princess started to talk among themselves, while Lilian was eating silently. "So, Lilian" spoke to the emperor making all the princesses pay attention to what he would say. "What is the name of the flower you gave me?" he smiled, "They are called Calendula." she smiled and looked at him straight, making him shocked by such an improvement. " A radiant flower, often overshadowed, yet a potent emblem of healing, strength, and resilience." her voice was soft and radiant, and no one believed what was happening: "Which I hope for you, Father." ended with a smile. Lilian's actions shocked him.

 Lilian was a nice and pitiful child, due to her mother's actions she was quite detested by many nobles, but because of her hair, they couldn't show it. The emperor and empress couldn't think of loving her after what her mother did, but how could they hate such a pitiful child? Lilian had no courage to talk to any of her family members, nor did any of the princesses approach her. But one princess talks her, Leilan, " Lilian has been learning about flowers and plants "with a smile that showed no hostility, Leilan said. "Really? how interesting," his majesty expresses his curiosity. "It's nothing," Lilian lets out a small laugh, "They are just interesting." Her cheeks were rosie, his majesty never showed any interest in what she does, because she closed herself. The fifth princess, Leilan noticed her reaction, her face became dark and yet she was wearing a smile.  And so the breakfast went on, with laughter, yet Lilian could not be part of it and simply sat there like a statue. "I dare not speak," Lilian thought as she placed her fork down.  She looked at them, as if they were shining, "How brilliant" she thought once again but this time with a smile.  "What's that smile for?" Everyone looked at the first princess Julianne who was wearing a grin as she gazed at Lilian who was shocked. "Oh !" Lilian was surprised  when Julianne spoke to her, Lilian's cheeks became rose: "I just thought everyone was dazzling." A smile followed.. "You should smile more.." The fourth princess, Linda, spoke with no expression on her face "You look cute when you smile..." she continued. Lilian couldn't utter any words. As she became flustered by her words, she hid her face, making everyone  laugh at such cute action.. "What a joyous morning" His majesty said and smiled.. "Shall we all go to church, today? I want to thank God for this beautiful family." He kept smiling... "God.." Thought Lilian as she glanced at Leilan. "That's right..." I smile ....

To be continued...