eleven

• The Eleventh

As she was wide awake on his bed, Satoru was already snoring.

Moonlight peeked through the in-between of the light gray with golden stripes curtain. It was cold, but the arm stretched over he stomach was warm to the touch. It has been about thirty minutes since they said each of their goodnights, yet everytime she closes her eyes, she finds herself opening them in a split second. She just can't sleep.

The lights were turned off. The whole room was still. No noise was heard. All these ideal conditions to sleep, and Iori Utahime has her eyes open.

Her eyes slid over to one object then to another. She never noticed how organized his room actually was. The clothing rack he has on the side has his coat hanging from it. His door to the walk-in closet was slightly ajar. The space in his room was wide, the furniture were properly situated.

After scanning probably everything, her eyes dropped on the owner. The white-haired man that she calls her boyfriend.

His body was facing her, arm under his head, and the other clutching her stomach. It looked like an uncomfortable position, but he was sleeping deeply.

Long white eyelashes was emphasized with hsu sleeping face. His lips held a ghost of a smile he had on before he was asleep.

"'Hime, if you won't sleep, can you please not stare at me?"

His voice broke through the silence and peace.

"You were awake?"

"I am now. If someone was staring at you right in the face, won't you wake up too?"

Utahime who was previously laying on her back turned and faced the man. "I thought you were a deep sleeper."

"I am. If you played the baseball game you loved so much on full volume, I wouldn't have woken up. You, young lady, was staring at me face-to-face."

His eyes were still closed as they talked.

"Sorry. You look cold though... and uncomfy."

"I don't want to put my shirt back on. That is what's uncomfy to me."

"Why are you so snappy? Just go back to sleep."

He lifted his arm off of her and poked her forehead. "I need you to sleep, so that I can sleep."

"I'll just turn away."

"Ugh."

How the roles were reversed. He was annoyed now.

"Why are you up this late?"

"I don't know," she replied. "I just can't sleep."

"There must be a reason. Don't tell me you're scared a cursed spirit will attack you?"

She shook her head lightly. "No. How can I when you're here?"

"That's right." He pulled her closer, caging her with both her arms.

"I was just..." Utahime struggled to find the right words. "I was thinking. If you don't want to break up-"

"That again. I swear I will forbid you from saying those pair of words ever again, you'll see."

"Let me finish!"

He pouted but went silent anyway.

"Then..."

'Do you love me?'

"Uhm, I remembered you once said you won't mind marrying me."

That wasn't what she actually wanted to ask. That wasn't specific. She yearns for an answer to what he feels and what she also feels.