3

NICCOLO RUSSO

"Welcome, everyone." The chief speaks, while stuffing a glazed donut into his mouth. He then dusts off his shirt, letting the donut crumbs hit the carpeted floor.

"As you know, me and a few others have been trying to take down the Lucchese mob family for a couple years now." He continues, pointing to several pictures on the board. "Finally, we might have a chance."

"That's what you say every month." The man in front of me speaks, clearly annoyed.

"Ahh, but it's different this time. The Don, or Mariano Lucchese, has a child, the heir to the family." The chief explains, grabbing another donut from the box on his desk.

"Lucchese has a son?" Someone spoke from behind me.

"Yes Michael, he has a son. Anyway with our calculations, he is estimated to be in his mid twenties, around some of your ages. We need someone who can get close to him, enough to have an insight on the way they function." He pauses, biting into the donut before explaining a few more details.

"Niccolo Russo." The chief suddenly states, tossing a bundle of thick documents in front of me.

"What?" I reply, perplexed.

"That's your name for the next year or so. I am giving you the job to complete this assignment."

"Thanks, Chief."

"All good son, just don't disappoint me, yeah?"

"When do I ever?" I reply, before leaving the room, and walking to my car.

I honestly wasn't shocked that the chief assigned me to the job. He knows i'm the most hardworking and skilled person in that fucking room. Ironically enough, it also has some disadvantages.

I lay back comfortably in the driver's seat of my car, as my eyes scan over the documents the chief gave me.

When my fingers turn to the fourth page, anger builds within me. On the page was a picture of Mariano Lucchese, smoking a cigarette while conversing with someone at a coffee shop. .

Next to the picture is a set of bullet points, listing some of his illegal activities.

Drug Trafficking

Loan Sharking

Extortion

The hatred I have for this man and anyone involved in the mafia is fucking incredible.

That's partly why I chose to become a cop, well one of the reasons.

The main reason is for her.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about her. The memories of what happened replays over and over, even sometimes in my sleep.

I'm not going to rest until the Lucchese family is taken down, and they're all rotting in jail cells for the rest of their miserable lives.