4

VALENTINA LUCCHESE

The sound of my phone alarm ringing makes me fall out of my deep slumber. I immediately turn it off, and begin to get dressed for my usual, seven in the morning workout.

I throw on a black baggy tee over my Nike sports bra, and slide on some short blue spandex shorts along with my Nike running shoes. For a quick pre workout, I reach for the plastic bag in my nightstand, snorting the white substance. A wave of dopamine rushes to my brain, and I feel instantly energised.

Doing one final check in the mirror, I leave my room and make my way to our indoor gym. Beginning with a quick warm up, I started with a yoga position called the cat's pose.

"Interesting position. Practicing anything in particular? Maybe something I can help with?" An amused voice fills the entire gym,

I ignore the voice, and continue to stretch for another ten minutes, before moving onto a nearby punching bag. Light footsteps follow me, stopping at the punching bag next to me.

"So Avery." The voice speaks up again.

"Niccolo." I reply in a monotone voice, throwing combos at the bag.

"Are you always this good at making conversation?" He sarcastically asks.

"Yeah. I've always been really friendly." Being curious, I asked him, "Why are you here?"

"Why not?"

I roll my eyes at his lazy response and finally turn to face him. His hazel eyes immediately dropped to my decently sized chest, which was just covered by a sports bra, as I neglected my shirt a couple minutes in. My eyes make contact with the beads of sweat dripping down his muscular chest, and the frames of brown hair that fell down his face.

I've always had a thing for guys who can pull off the messy hair look.

Noticing my gaze on him, he smirks.

I instantly snapped out of it, "Why are you here?" I ask again, clearing my voice.

His eyes drift to my own, "I was looking for someone."

"Oh, and let me guess, this someone has a name?" I ask sarcastically.

"Good job, you're learning. I'm looking for Don Lucchese's son." He continues, scratching the back of his neck.

"Don Lucchese's son?" I replied with confusion.

Does this motherfucker have some kids I don't know about?

"Yes, would you like me to repeat it in Spanish?"

"Don Lucchese doesn't have a son." I answer, throwing kicks at the punching bag this time.

"But he has an heir who is also his child?" Niccolo replied.

"Yes."

"Okay, so..?"

"Women can lead the mafia too, you sexist prick." After that somehow shocking statement I leave the gym, leaving a frozen Niccolo.

***

After an exhausting day running around and dealing with shipments, I just needed to do one more thing, torture the fuck out of someone, my favourite.

I park in front of an "abandoned" building, and bring out a bag of supplies with me.

I walk straight through the building door and walk down stairs to the basement. Memories of my first kill reappear but I shake them off, too excited to deal with some unlucky person.

The prisoner cells reek of feces and urine, a smell I still haven't gotten quite used to over the course of several years. Dragging a long steel bar along each cell, I alert the prisoners of my presence, causing them to hide in the furthest corner of their cell.

I smirk at their reactions.

Finally, I stop at a cell holding a skinny middle aged man. He shakes violently in fear as I unlock him from the cell.

"Please no! Please!" I drown out his pleads with a white cloth. I force him onto a wooden chair, tying his legs together with a thick rope and removing the thick cloth. "Please!" He pleads again in despair.

"It's amazing how your reality completely changes when you become vulnerable." I whisper in his ear, smiling when I see him squirm at my voice.

"How can someone go from 'Mr tough guy' to 'Mr i'm scared' in a matter of seconds." I continue, moving further away from him to heat up a large butcher's knife. "It really shows how much of a pussy you are." I state, watching the fear in his eyes as he looks at the knife.

"Don't worry, this isn't for you. It's for her." I gesture for someone to bring out another prisoner. "It's for your daughter." I smile again. His tearful reaction only made this more pleasurable.

The man brings out a blonde teenage girl, who was completely tied to a chair. Her hair was raggedy from weeks of neglect and her body looked like it was on the verge of collapsing.

"Now here's how this works. Your father here is going to answer every question I ask him, truthfully, or he will cause you immense pain." I explain, leaning against the nearest wall, and twirling the knife with my hands. "Let's begin, shall we. Who are you?" I say, referring to the scared shitless man.

"S-S-Steve, Steve Romano." He answers, shaking non-stop.

"Steve Romano, do you know why you are here?" I ask the obvious, intrigued as to whether he will dare lie to my face.

"N-n-no."

"Is Stevey lying now?" I rhetorically ask, inching the knife closer to his daughter

"No, please! I will tell you! Stop!"

The screams continue until I finally have enough information to end their lives. Two shots ring out in the room and I inform the cleaning team to remove the dead bodies.

***

Tiredness overloads me as I arrive back at the Don's house. Not bothering to turn on the light, I grab a chocolate protein bar from the cupboard to ease my hunger, and check the time on my phone.

It's three in the fucking morning.

I walk over to the silver kitchen bin and toss in my wrapper, before walking to the sink to pour myself a cup of water.

A sudden loud noise alerts me and I immediately turn off the tap, reaching into the back of my pants for my loaded pistol.

The Don is never awake at this time, someone must have broken in.

My back makes contact against the granite kitchen bench, as I try to locate the unknown person through the sounds of their footsteps. Sensing a presence to the side of me, I aim and shoot, satisfied when I hear the unknown person groan in pain.

I reach for the lights and turn them on, walking over to the injured body, kicking the person on their side with my two inch heel.