Chapter 20. Reconciling

Charles and I reach his room. Charles has to be conduct - he still walks unsure. My mind is already calculating how much junk is in there. I haven't slept in there in a couple of years, after the smell of alcohol became unbearable.

But at the same time, I can't help but notice that for the first time in a long time, Charles doesn't smell anything-no dirt, no alcohol. He also clings to me not like a drunk, when I had to drag him to the couch at least, but like before, caring, protective.

But even though I still love him, I'm keeping my guard up-what if, after we deal with Trask and Raven, he goes back to drinking and serum?

I open the door to the room and help Charles sit to the bed. I immediately remove all the bottles, dirty plates and other rubbish with telekinesis and open the windows. I try not to come in here, but if the occasion arises, I'll always clean up.

Charles looks at me with a surprisingly conscious look of his beautiful eyes. The way he looked at me when he said he loved me, when he proposed marriage. I want to smile, but I really don't know how to act with him.

And I am definitely fighting one urge - the desperate urge to kiss him. This is definitely not the time for romance. I also try very hard to put out of my mind the reason why I first spent the night at this room. Although, of course, what other thoughts could there be in a woman whose husband had last just kissed her about two years ago?

But I can't take my eyes off Charles, looking at the sky. He looks so calm, so peaceful, so handsome.

I turn back to the door, make an effort to look away from Charles, and say.

- "Well, rest. Logan said we'll figure it out tomorrow."

I want to go out. But something won't let me go. I remember that Charles can now read and control my thoughts again.

- "Charles, if you want me to stay, just say so. You don't need to get in my head." -I say.

- "I'm sorry. I'm not in control of it yet." -He apologizes. He apologizes? - "Can you sit down, please?"

I sit down with disbelief on my face. But the tone with which Charles says it could melt any heart.

- "I'm very, very sorry for what I've been doing since '65. I haven't let you relax for a minute, haven't been supportive. And I'm sorry I didn't get to spend time with you." - Charles says. He gently hugs my shoulders, as if waiting for me to throw his hand away. But his long-forgotten touch makes me want it even more.

- "Charles, it's really okay, it's not your fault." -I try to interrupt him. I'm trying my best not to lunge at his neck.

- "No, it's my fault, I'm very sorry. I spoke to myself from the future, and he showed me how you would be killed. And I realized I couldn't bear it, couldn't lose you." -I freeze, feeling that he's about to say the cherished words. - "Because I love you, I love you so much."

Of course, after that I can't hold back and I hug him.

- "I love you too." -I say.

Charles didn't seem to expect this at all. But I hug him and don't want to let go. At first it's as if he can't believe his luck, but he hugs me. 

And finally giving in to my desire, I kiss Charles. Softly, quickly, as if expecting it to end. And he kisses me in return. As if he missed me. And at the same time, so delicately and passionately at the same time.

I realize how much I miss him, his touches, his kisses. All of our clothes gradually end up on the floor, and neither Charles nor I want to stop.

Charles is asleep. He fell asleep without voices. I look at his face - calm, peaceful. The face of the man I loved and love.

All evening we were, if I may say so, catching up on eight years of work. And it was the best evening in years. We exchanged touches, words, feelings, and I don't think we were so in love for the first time in a long time.

I look out the window. The night sky, the light breeze blowing into the room, the park. On the radio, probably accidentally turned on by one of us, music plays softly. And the sleeping Charles, hugging me with one arm, next to me. That's something to fight for.

I put my head on Charles' shoulder and sink into his embrace.

- "I love you, Charles." - I whisper before I fall asleep.