Epilogue

A boy with a school bag and a Back to the Future T-shirt comes out of school and looks for me.

-"My sunshine, come to mommy!" -I call out to him.

He runs up to me and hugs me, looking with his piercing blue eyes, just like his father's.

-"Well, Henry, shall we go to daddy? He's been waiting for us. "-I say affectionately. He nods. Henry is not very talkative in public. Charles says he was the same way, and that it will pass.

We get to the café, where Charles is waiting for us, and to my surprise, I see Eric there, too.

- "Eric!" - I say in surprise. - What were you doing there?

-"I thought I'd visit some old friends. But someone..." Eric looks at Charles. - Some people aren't very happy with me.

I kiss Charles briefly on the temple and he smiles.

-"Will you come to daddy's lap, Henry? "-he asks Henry. The whole time I was pregnant, Charles never left my side, and when Henry was born, everything else was no longer important to him except me.

Henry climbs into Charles's lap and looks at Eric frightened.

- "And this, I presume, is little Xavier? What's your name, little one?" -Eric asks. But Henry looks away from him embarrassed.

- "He doesn't really trust strangers." -I explain.

- "I can see that. By the way, Charles, your son is your copy. "-Eric doesn't give up trying to talk to Charles, but he's still angry. Then Eric switches to me.

- "Why did you move to France?" -he asks.

- "We thought Henry should have a normal childhood. Where he wasn't looked upon as the son of two powerful mutants." - I answer.

- "About the son of two mutants. Has he shown any mutation yet?"

- "For God's sake, Eric, he's not even nine." -Charles responds immediately. He and I both worry that Henry doesn't even have a hint of a mutation. That's partly why we moved - so no one would pressure Henry about it.

I look at my son worriedly. But no, Henry's distracted by the portable console and doesn't hear anything.

- "Well, I thought you both had mutations by this age." -Eric insists.

-"You know, Charles and I think it's better for Henry to grow up to be a good, kind human than a mutant with a horrible temper."

Charles nods, and then says.

- "I'll play."

Only now do I notice the chessboard.

Eric smiles and gives me two chess pieces to choose from. Charles chooses, and he gets a white one.

Henry gets off Charles' lap, comes over to me and points to the clouds. I look up into the sky. It's clear, beautiful. Henry smiles, as does Charles, engaged in the game. I, looking at them, smile happily. I love and will always love them.