Chapter 2: New Home.

New faces were seen. Most of them are staring at me. Some were tall, some short, some looked curious, some looked pretty, and some looked tired. To be honest, why should I care about what people think of me?

"Good afternoon! You're new here, yes?" A female voice was heard. I turned to look at a girl who was slightly taller than me.

"My name's Astery Revinue. You can just call me Aster!" She said.

Her half-tied-up, brown hair with light brown tints at the tips. She wore golden, round-framed spectacles. A white shirt and a brown short-sleeved coat and light brown cargo pants. She also wore black boots.
She was smiling and her golden, round eyes were shining brightly with enthusiasm.

"My name is Y/N. Nice to meet you too... I hope." I hesitated to shake her hand but I still do it anyway because I don't want to be seen as rude.

"Ah, you don't like physical touch? It's alright, I'll take note of it in the future. No need to worry, I'll be here to guide you with a few others!" She said happily.

"Do you need help with your luggage? I'll be happy to help," She asked. I just shook my head and she just smiled again.

"Wanna know something about this orphanage?" She asked in a suspicious tone.

"What is it? Is it haunted?" I asked her out of curiosity. I mean it.

"Oh, well maybe but for this case nope. There are a few teens who dated each other for whatever reason and when they are adopted, they're step-siblings! Crazy right? Used to date but now are siblings. Another thing that happened was when the headmistress was out grocery shopping and as I was returning from school, a male approached her. They both looked to be enjoying themselves and their faces were flushing red all the time!" She explained with a shocked tone.

"Oh, wow. That's... well for the first part a coincidence. The second sounds like she got a person she'd like and so did the male. If they are dating, congrats to them." I spoke dryly. It was shocking but not shocking.

"Man, I'm sorry if I spoke too much. It's just that I barely have anyone to talk to since I was brought here. Sorry if I annoyed you in any way. If you want me to keep quiet, I don't mind.." She had an apologetic face and she bowed slightly while we were walking toward the dorms.

The halls were painted with white and light blue colours. There were different paintings outside as well. On the left were a few balconies and below lies a huge garden. There were many fountains and the place seemed magical. It was similar to a classroom block with a garden in the middle. The difference was that it wasn't classrooms and on the other side was a small building where the sick children would go to.

"That's just not the so-called hospital, it's also a fitness or workout area. Most athletes go there to train too." Aster explained.

After walking for a few minutes, we reached the room. Inside the room was a double bunk bed and two study areas. There is a huge closet room, one side for someone and the other for me. There is a toilet as well.

"This is my room... Ta-da! Heh, not that much to be honest... I have never had a roommate. They always go to another room. I've been living here by myself." Aster said in a dejected tone. She looked down at the floor with a saddened face.

"So... Am I your first roommate?" I asked. Looking at her, she must've felt lonely. Too lonely. I just lightly patted her shoulder.

"Yes... I feel happy that at least someone's here," Aster looked back up at me and then opened the curtains. There was a picturesque view of the street. There are many shops and lamp posts outside and people walking. It looked so pretty.

"The sunset would be lovely, especially in the fitness area. You could see the sunset better there." She chirped. There were some plushies and cushions near the window.

"Well, time to unpack your things! I'll give you a full tour of the orphanage tomorrow. Today, we'll just be going through some of the rules. It's already past 5:45 pm and we're gonna have supper at 6:30 pm later on. Bedtime would be at 10:30 pm. latest. The guards will be doing their daily activities." She gave a brief plan on what will be happening today. I just nodded and started unpacking my items.

*An hour later...*

"Aster, is there a library? I want to check out the books they have." I asked her. She was at her desk drawing a background.

"Hm? Oh yes, there is. It's a huge one that you can find every genre there. I'd honestly prefer to call this a mansion rather than an orphanage but eh... Why? Are you a reader?"

"Yes, I love to read. I've brought all the books from my home and I was hoping to give them to the library so that other people could read them..." I said in a low voice. These books were given to my mother as my birthday gifts.

"No wonder your backpack looked heavy... I'll lead you there after supper. Afterwards, we have to shower and then sleep." She says. Her right hand was stained with graphite from the mechanical pencil.

"Sorry if it sounds rude but, why are you in an orphanage? You don't have to answer if you'd like," I asked.

"Hm? Oh, my dad shot my mum after an argument and it was right outside my primary school. My relatives wouldn't dare look after me since they say that I'm 'similar' to my father. My mum's dead and I was only 6 years old. I just decided to go to an orphanage so here I am..." She just continued drawing while telling the story.

"What about you, Y/N?" She glanced at me with her pencil in hand.

"Oh, my mum and I were involved in a car accident and she didn't manage to survive. My dad left us when I wasn't even born yet. I don't even want to meet him if I were, to be honest." I explained. I was just sitting down near the window.

"Goodness... sorry for your loss... Are you feeling better now?" She was concerned. She immediately rushed up to me and scanned me for any injuries.

"Yes yes, I'm fine. Also, I don't see why people can't adopt you. I'm sorry if I've offended you... I'm just really curious." I shouldn't have asked that.

"The parents said that they want a child who isn't a descendant of a 'murderer'. Everybody, if not, most people here knows about this incident. I just want to be accepted. I don't even want to kill anyone nor do I ever want to have the intention to kill them. What? Just because my dad did it doesn't mean I will do it..? I already know murder is wrong, okay? People will always be quick to judge, utter bullsh*t..."

She slammed the table and crumpled the piece of paper she had drawn on. She sighed heavily and just looked up at the ceiling. Her eyes seemed to be filled with hatred. A drop of single tear fell out of her left eye when she looked down.

"I'm sorry that you have to hear or see me like this..." Aster stood up and walked away and went outside of the room.

"I'll... give you a tour once I'm finished. You can look for me just near the entrance of the orphanage outside. I'll be in the garden..." She soon walked off quietly and closed the door.

...

There it is, tension. The atmosphere is tense. Feels like you are suffocating but there's no physical activity or touch happening to you. I just went back to the window and stared at the scenery. The sky had a blue and a light green ombre. The clouds are flowing by slowly. It's about to be 6:30 pm, it's when I'm about to have my first supper.

____________________________________

‼️Author's Note:
HIHI EVERYONE!! SORRY FOR A LATE UPDATE. School has got me and my termly assessments are coming up, I have to try and balance things out. (but my indecisive *ss has to be there whenever I try to choose which subject to study first. this led me to procastination) Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading this and have a lovely day dear reader! <3