Chapter 40: Epilogue

𝙾𝚗𝚎 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛 𝙻𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛
𝙵𝚛𝚒𝚍𝚊𝚢, 𝙰𝚞𝚐𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝟷𝟾𝚝𝚑
Miles POV

The shittiest thing about making good friends is having to eventually leave them.

Parker and I are packed up and ready to drive down to Houston, Texas on Wednesday to settle in at the Texas A&M before classes start the following Monday. Griffin has a flight to catch tomorrow afternoon to make it to Pittsburgh at Carnegie Mellon University in time for his classes this upcoming Monday.

Meanwhile, Rose and Forrest, those lucky bastards, don't have to drive down to UCLA in Los Angeles until next Friday. They were smart cookies and chose a college close to home.

As excited as I am for all of us and our futures, I'm also sad as hell to be leaving the majority of them behind. But, as long as I have Parker to keep me sane, I guess it won't be that bad.

Speak of the devil...

"Jesus, finally!" Forrest exclaims from the seat across me, waving his hand at the diner window. "I was about to suggest someone to call one of those idiots."

"Hey, be nice! Griffin is rubbing off on you," Rose teases and nudges Forrest before tossing her hair behind her shoulder. "Traffic was probably bad down town."

"With Griffin driving, there's no excuses."

"Honestly," I agree with a laugh. "Let's be grateful they made it here in one piece."

Rose and I crane our heads to see out the window, and we watch the black Hellcat slide to a stop in an empty handicapped stall. Although, there's nothing handicapped about the way Griffin flies out of his car and takes off at a sprint toward the diner, a wild grin on his face.

Parker is hot on his heels, but can't catch up fast enough. Not when he's laughing so hard.

I grin as I watch the two of them race toward the diner door. This weird feeling of dejá vú seeps through my bones as the bell over the door rings cheerfully.

Most of the occupants sitting at the tables trying to enjoy their peaceful dinners look up at the sound of squeaking sneakers and breathless boys.

Griffin flies around the corner first, panting like a dog. If it weren't for his heaving chest, I never would've assumed that he was essentially crippled at this time one short year ago.

Forrest grunts as Griffin slides into the seat next to him, practically mowing him over.

"Hey!" Forrest exclaims and shoves Griffin off his lap.

Snickering, Griffin ignores him and points at Parker. "Fuckin' loser!"

"Yeah, because you locked me in the god damn car for a second! That was so unfair," Parker says with a laugh and slows down as he approaches the table. His gaze immediately seeks me out, and the way his eyes brighten still sends butterflies loose in my stomach, even after all of this time.

"Unfair?" I echo and scoot over to make room for Parker. I smile when he kisses the side of my head and keep saying, "Looked pretty fair to me. You were the one taking on the kid with a fake knee."

"Exactly. That's what I'm trying to say," Griffin says and reclines against the back of the booth as if it's a world-class rocking chair. "Hey, did anyone order yet?"