A Reunion (James)

I hear a knocking sound on the door, "The door is unlocked." I say as I finish printing the paper I was working on. A familiar dark haired figure walks in through the door, "Henri," I rush over to the door and give him a hug, "I thought that you were in France with Lafayette!" 

"I was able to come back to America to say hello to some old friends, I believe that the revolution is soon to be over in France." Henri steps into the shop and picks up the paper that I have just printed."So you own a print shop now?" Memories begin to flood into my mind, the first time I had seen this shop, me asking Sarah for a loan. Look at me now, News York, my paper. "Yeah, I saved up every dime for this store, Sarah had to help me." 

"Sarah," Henri perks up, "where is Sarah?" I sit to think for a bit, where would Sarah be on a Wednesday evening, that's right! The library! "She should be at the library reading books on law, let's go!" 

Henri and I rush down the street. People stare as we weave our way through crowds. A small imperfection in the road causes Henri to trip, he doesn't know these streets as well as I do. I offer my hand to help him up, but he rejects it. He seems to stop right in front of the local bakery. "We must come here with Sarah!" I am glad to see that Henri never lost his passion for food, it was one of the things that made him so special. I remember how many times he got in trouble with cooks at the camps we would stay at. 

I look to my left and see the New York library. I grab Henri's  shoulder, and we begin to walk up the steps. We wander over to the tables where I see a red head's face buried into a book. I sneak  behind her and tap her on the shoulder. 

"James" she says shocked, "and Henri!" She springs out of her seat and gives Henri a hug. "I'm so glad that you are well, I haven't received a letter in a while." I remember the good old days, when we were all young and were always by each other's sides. Travelling together, writing together, printing together. It felt like the good times would never end, until they did. 

We all went our separate ways when the war ended. It's almost as though the horrible instances of the war made life enjoyable. There was so much action happening at every corner, so many heroes like Dr. Franklin. Dr. Franklin. It felt as though he was unstoppable, he had overcome so many hardships and yet, he still passed. It still haunts me, all of my parental figures gone. Henri has Lafayette, I have no one. The most important thing to me is my paper, and keeping Dr. Franklin's memory alive. If only the lightning rod had been enforced sooner, maybe then I would still have my parents. I wish I had someone, anyone. The only people I ever interact with are my customers and people I interview. None of which I actually know like I would know family, or even a close friend. Sarah was always too busy with her studies to come and talk to me. I wish someone cared. 

While we are walking to the bakery that Henri had seen earlier, I couldn't help but notice how lonely I have been. While Sarah and Henri were out having a ball every night, I was stuck at the printers, all alone. We walk into the bakery, the scent of fresh baked bread fills my nostrils. Henri struts up to the counter and he immediately knows what to order despite him never ordering pastries from this shop. I sit down at a nearby table, saving a seat for the two of them. Sarah looks over at me and says, "Do you want anything James?" After realizing my sorrows, I had lost my appetite. Who knew, death with a side of loneliness could really take a toll on you. "I'm alright," I said in a cheery tone, "I had lunch before this, I wasn't expecting to see Henri." I hadn't had lunch before this, but I don't want them to know my hardships. They lead such a joyful and action packed life, I don't need them worrying about me. 

After Sarah and Henri return with several pastries, we all fill each other in on our current lives. Sarah, an aspiring lawyer. Henri, a strong sidekick to the revolutionary hero, Lafayette. James, the owner of the News York paper, the lonely one, the sad one. They both have so many fun, and exciting stories to tell about their lives. All I have to tell is the stories of others that I have talked to. I live through others, listening to their tales and claiming them as my own. Will I ever make my mark in history? Will anyone ever remember me when I pass? I still have my friends, right? 

Sarah is telling us so many things that I never knew happened to her. We talk every once in a while, but I really don't know anything about her. Henri is now a completely different person. Sure, he still has a love of food, but who doesn't like to eat? Food is a necessary part of life so everyone should enjoy it. I see Lafayette in him, just like a parent would have influence on their child. Dr. Franklin and Moses had an influence on me, I share their love for the news and freedom. Moses! Moses is still alive! He should be working at the school he founded, I must find him!

"Henri, do you want to see Moses?" I ask hoping for him to say yes.

"Of course!" He says jolting up. 

"We leave tomorrow, you can stay at my shop for tonight."

"Hooray!" Henri, quickly finishes up his meal. For this moment, I felt like I was back in my childhood. Sarah stared disapprovingly, in a joking tone she said, "Henri, nothing has changed!" We all laugh as we walk away from the table. 

We walk with Sarah back to her house, recollecting on all of the memories from war times. It was so much fun back then. I only wish that Dr. Franklin was in America for all of it. He made things so special, him all of the other founding fathers. Sarah and I were obsessed with them, we would try to sneak into every convention. Luckily for us, Dr. Franklin told us the information that we couldn't discover ourselves. 

"Goodbye Sarah, see you tomorrow!" Henri and I say. The long walk back to the shop is filled with many giggles and warm feelings. The past may be over, but it is never forgotten. I only wish things could have stayed the same. Tonight will not feel so lonely.