CHAPTER 24

Caleb's p.o.v

The driver pulled up at the spot. I had blindfolded Kristen before she could see where we stopped. "We're here?" She asked touching the blindfold. "Yes, we are here. I can't wait until you see it. Come on" and I held her hand before the driver opened the door. I carefully led her out and began to walk with her down a narrow path. I hope she loves it. I didn't choose any fancy restaurant or anything. I chose something simple that I believe she will definitely love. She held on to my hand tight fearing that she might fall. "It's ok, I got you" I laughed. In the next 2 minutes, we arrived. "Ok, remove the blindfold" I instructed her and she removed it, opening her eyes. I saw that she froze on spot. "This is so beautiful!" She shouted smiling. 

"You like it?" I asked looking around

"You like it?" I asked looking around. "Hell yeah. I did not expect this Caleb. I love it." She said. She set her eyes on the dinner table that was prepared for us. "Starving?" I laughed and took her hand leading her to the table. "Yeah" she laughed. I pulled the chair out allowing her to sit. "Thank you," she said. I went and sat down as well. "What's on the menu for today?" She asked looking at all the delicious dishes at the table. "We have, " I told her pointing to each dish. "Looks delicious. You didn't prepare them did you?" She asked. "Of course I did," I told her passing her an empty plate. "You did?. You're a big chef then Mr. McIntosh" she laughed taking the plate from me. "That I am," I said and we shared what we could on our plates. "I'd like to pray before we begin to eat," she said and I nodded. "Of course," I said bowing my head. She did the same and started to pray.

"Dear God. Thank you for life, bless this food that Caleb has prepared. Protect and guide us and I pray that if it is your will, Caleb and I will grow closer to each other. Amen," She said and lifted her head to look at me. I smiled and stared at her. "That was a great prayer, Kristen. And I believe that we will grow closer to each other" I told her. She smiled at me and began to eat. "Anything you want to talk about?" I asked her. "Ah...how about our likes and dislikes," she said. I nodded. "Ok. my likes. Let's see. Chinese food, going on simple dates, spending time with God, When someone is completely honest with me, loyalty, cleanliness, cooking, anything that has to do with finance and spending time with you" I said. "That's interesting. You don't think I'm boring?" She asked. "Absolutely not," I assured her. "And not once have you got tired of me??" She continued. "How could I?" I laughed and a blush crept on her face. "What about what you dislike?" She asked and continued to eat. I thought for a moment. "I do not like any kind of porridge. I find it disgusting. From I was very small" I told her and she looked at me shocked. "How can you hate it?" She laughed. "Tell you what, I'll make some for you one day. My mom's recipe" she told me. "Ok, I can't promise you I will love it though" I pointed out to her. "Oh, you will love it. Trust me." She boasted and I laughed. We went quiet for about a minute. "Do you miss her?" I looked up at her. She didn't look up at me. "Every day," she said forcing a smile my way. "Want to tell me about her?" I asked. She looked up at me. "I really don't like revisiting the past," She said with honesty. I nodded. "I understand. When you're ready" I reached for her hand. She nodded. "So, what do you like?. And dislike?" I took my hand from hers.

"I love how you understand me," she said and chuckled. And just like that her mood completely changed. I smiled looking at her. "I feel it's my duty to understand you. And respect your decisions" I told her. "Even if I refuse to see you again?" She asked. I coughed reaching for my glass of water. She laughed. "That, I cannot accept," I told her holding up my hand. "Are you ok?" She continued to laugh. "Yeah yeah," I said and cleared my throat again. We continued to talk more and I loved how our conversations were filled with so much laughter and honesty.

...

"Tell me about your family. Do you have any siblings?." She asked me pushing her plate aside. "I do actually. I have a younger sister. She's about 21." I told her. "Wow. That's great" she said and poured herself some wine. "That's not non-alcoholic, don't have too much," I told her looking at the bottle. "Don't worry...I won't" she said and drank off the entire cup. "You ok?" I asked her. She nodded and got up. "Why don't we go for a walk?" She suggested and I nodded rising from my seat. We walked side by side down the beach, looking out at the sea. She took a deep breath and then spoke. "I grew up with only my mom by my side. Unfortunately, my dad died before I was born. It wasn't an easy life then. Mom worked a 9 to 5 job, so I hardly got to see her. I loved her very much. The times we spent together, I'll never forget them." She told me looking ahead. I waited for her to continue. She was ready to talk about a dark part of her past that she never wished to share. It takes courage to do that. We can never run away from our experiences, especially if they're hurtful ones. The right thing to do is face them with courage and deal with them. It's so necessary for a person to heal completely. I heard her continue.

"She did her best to raise me and I'll forever be grateful for that. But I can't seem to escape questioning if I would have felt more fulfilled and if my life would be more meaningful if she had introduced me to God. Like every other parent, maybe buy me a bible and send me to church. I'm not angry at her for taking her life. I'm angrier at myself for not trying harder, to be a better me, for just accepting the way I lived life back then.

I remember the first time I saw Kayla reading the word, she looked like she had found the key to being happy in life. I actually clouded my mind from believing that I could find peace too. I mean, I tried to convince myself, but deep down I knew it would never happen. Until I met you." She said and stopped in her tracks. She looked up at me. "As I got to know you better, I found that God gives peace to those who trust in him and follow him. As you said, he's the lord of peace. You know, when I first prayed for you in the car that night, I felt it. Perfect peace and this huge burden were lifted off my shoulder. It got me wondering if that's how my mom felt. Burdened by the struggles in life. The only time her face lit up was when she looked at me. She refused to learn about God, and it's not until today, that I've come to the realization that God was the only one who could save her. If only she had surrendered and believe." She started to walk again her eyes leaving mine. "I'm sorry that you had to feel those emotions and I'm glad that you are able to feel God's perfect peace. Not many are able to. As for your mom, I strongly believe that she's happy right now, because you are happy Kristen." I told her and I saw her nod. "Yeah, she would" She stated.

End of p.o.v

....

I hope you're loving the book so far. Don't forget to share, like, and comment. Also, follow my book account on Instagram she-inspires_writing