Chapter 5 - Green Monster

Chief Bloodborne

Once I had spoken to Princess Brenna, I dragged my body downstairs to the Great Hall and plopped down in my chair that overlooked the large room. I slumped back and pinched the bridge of my nose. I could not let my men see my fragility. My very essence was tired, tired of the way my men and I had to live. We lived in an endless cycle of being treated like a barbarian by these humans. I could see it in her eyes. Brenna looked at me with that same expression as the peasants had when they fled from the sight of my men and me. She's not unlike most women who come here not knowing the truth about the orc.

Over the years, a number of human females came to us for protection and married into the horde. These human kingdoms had such ignorant rules and etiquette for their women. Their families and husbands would shun them if they did not live up to these standards. Many had lived sad lives and came here as a last resort. Most have preconceived notions about us that they had pieced together from lies. However, most of them come around over time. I can't say it becomes easier dealing with this each time we have a new face in our halls. Unfortunately, the presence of human females creates other issues as well.

There was pre-existing tension between the humans and the Southern Orruk Horde, who had not been faring as well as us. The Southern Horde lost much more during the Orruk Genocide. Our forebears sheltered in our mountains and held off the armies. They were not so fortunate. Their people resided in the plains. They were nearly wiped out during the wars because they were more accessible.

Within the past two decades, the southern horde has become resentful of our stability and the population of human females who sought refuge with us as if it was somehow our fault for the mass killing of the orc race. A few years ago, their leader threatened war if we did not send women to the south out of desperation to keep their population from dwindling. This problem started before I became chief, but the rift between the hordes was still very present.

Of course, my predecessor did not give in to the crazy bastards. If the women wanted to go there, they would have. If we traded people like cattle, we would be no better than humans. We've sworn to protect all women, especially those who come to us for any reason, not just to marry into the horde. Some choose to be entertainers, servant girls, or live in our village and work in a trade, but we give them all the same respect. Unlike the human kingdoms, we recognize their importance to us and cherish them. For most humans, it's all about status and money to them. The Orruk don't practice this. There's the chief and his horde.

Typically, the chief holds authority, but we are all equal. To become chief, you must challenge and defeat the current one. I became chief at twenty-two and have been for four years now. I cannot show weakness now, not in a time like this. We already had enough problems with our southern kin and this ongoing feud with the humans. Just then, Paige dropped down onto my lap. Her round ass pressed onto my dick, distracting my worried thoughts.

"What's the matter, handsome," she turned and brushed a lock of hair out of my face. She tugged on my arm, pleading for me to wrap it around her waist.

"I'm just tired," I muttered. "I've got a lot on my mind."

"Let me get you an ale then." She called out to one of the servant girls to bring a pint over for me. "Why not turn in for the night?"

We made it a point to celebrate even the smallest victories because there isn't much to be grateful for these days. It had been a long time since we had regained territory from the humans, but at what cost, I wondered. "It'd be wrong if I weren't here celebrating alongside my men," I said.

"What if I visit your bedchamber tonight, then? We could have our own celebration," she breathed sensually in my ear.

Anyone could see that Paige had a thing for me, but she and I were just friends with a mutual need, and she knew that. It seemed many of the women had an interest in me. I assume it's because of my position; some things rarely change with humans. They are a bunch of brown-nosers if you ask me. They are so interested in who has status and wealth, so I never go any further than a physical relationship if they desire it.

It was not unusual for us orcs to have some casual fun. I've always made that interest very clear. I have no time to worry about a woman and a relationship. It's not that I'm against marriage; no one's piqued my interest enough to put myself through the trouble. I've seen far too many of my brothers crushed by a woman who could not bring herself to love an orc. "Not tonight," I said gruffly.

"I'll leave you to it then," she said. She stood, pecked me on the forehead, and walked away. Watching her walk away made me regret my decision somewhat. My cock ached to pound out my frustrations, but all the same, there was too much on my mind. We'd given the humans another scenario to exploit, and now I had a poker-wielding princess sleeping across the hall from my living quarters and a hole in my chest. I set her up across from me to protect her, but now I'm questioning my safety.

I chuckled to myself. I pictured Brenna flying through the door with that thing. I will give her one thing. She, by far, has left the best impression of any human I have met. Most of the women here came to seek protection from us. I have met human men through battle that they brought onto their selves. They either died at my hand or squealed like a pig and ran. Then there is this girl, ready to fight her way through the castle with a fire poker.

She had definitely caught my attention. Her valor attracted me. I reflected on what had happened in her room. She was a dainty thing who stood about five and a half feet tall. She had long, thick caramel hair that fell around her pear-shaped figure in gentle waves. It had to be at least down to her ass. I would not know for sure; I had not seen her from that angle. She has these big doe eyes that nearly match the color of her hair. They reminded me of amber. Freckles adorned the bridge of her nose and her cheeks. Her full lips reminded me of lush flower petals. Gods, why am I thinking about her lips?

The beating of our drums pulled me out of my trance. Sten and a few other guys had climbed onto one of the tables and chugged a pint of ale. He then slung the mug to the floor and rallied the others to start singing. The fool, I thought as I chuckled out loud. Once he finished showing off, he stumbled over to me, grabbing another two more pints on his way to me.

"Come on, Jasper. Let loose. Here. Have another ale," his voice slurred. Sten had always been a good friend, almost like a little brother. When we were younger, he and I would get into some shit. Now, I have been so busy and worried about everything and everyone. I rarely allow myself to cut loose these days. Things have changed since I became chief. At least he is still just as wide open as he was then. I wish I could say the same about myself.

"No. Thanks. I am all set," I said, motioning to the untouched pint Paige sent for. I was not feeling up to it. I knew I would likely have a long day ahead of me tomorrow.

"Fine, suit yourself." He annihilated one of the two pints he carried in his hands. "Aaaaaaah."

"And we wonder why the humans say we are uncivilized," I joked

"Be happy, Jasper. I finally got some action. We regained some of our homelands and scored a cute piece of ass to add to the horde. I pray to the gods for whatever orc takes an interest in her. I heard she tried to fucking stab you," he roared with laughter.

Oddly, I felt angry when he referred to her that way. I felt a sense of protectiveness for her even though I had only known her for a few hours. I remembered how her father seemed to care so little for her. It seemed as though she had no one protecting her. It is possible that she dared to fight for herself because she is accustomed to it. I knew Sten meant nothing by it. It is just in his nature to be an asshole, especially when it comes to women and marriage. I could not blame the fucker after what his woman put him through. He is a perfect reminder not to get caught up with emotions.

"You've got to admit, for such a small thing, she's got a fat ass. I bet she could birth many strong orclings," Sten joked. He looked at me with concern. Then, I realized how tense I got listening to him go on like that. I have got to get out of here to think before I kick Sten's ass. "You alright, Jasper?" he asked, looking concerned.

"I'm fine, ya' fucking bastard," I said, trying to play it off. "I'm just tired. You can't blame me; I was fucking impaled today. I think I'm going to call it for the night."