Chapter 3

Stasia 

My feet pattered down the steps as I raced towards the pebbled path that I could run through with my eyes closed. The summer sun glossed the evergreen leaves on the hedges that parted slightly for an entrance that lead to mother's private garden. A warmth filled the air as the sunlight reached to envelope everything it touched, and some birds sang in the distance.

Not long after weaving through the maze of hedges, hearing the crunch of the walkway under my feet, I saw the vine-filled gate I was looking for. Dainty blue flowers and buds peppered the pallet of leaves, and I picked one before I swung it open and continued through the collections of colors that blossomed around me.

"Mommy?" I called for her.

The melody of her voice echoed through the air and I stilled, listening for it again.

"Mommy, where are you?" I urged a little louder.

Her voice lifted above the sounds of the breeze chiming the leaves around me, "Here, Stasia. I am over here."

"Where?" I asked, lifting myself to the tips of my toes, wishing I could see over the thick bushes that carved the paths. Before me, the walkway split in two and I picked the one that lead to the bigger portion of the garden, trying to listen for her voice again. To the right of me, a small pool of water mirrored the drifting clouds and some butterflies fought the gentle breeze in the air. "Mommy?"

Her voice was farther this time, "Stasia?"

I turned around and huffed.

Carving around the corner to the other path, I was shaded with a wooden canopy engulfed by a climbing vine of deep violet blooms. Sunshine sprinkled the walkway and a coolness touched my skin as I turned the corner to notice a secluded space. "Stasia?" Her voice was soft as it called towards me and I picked up my pace, running as fast as my petite feet and legs would allow me.

When I came into the area, I noticed her sitting on a white stone bench, surrounded by rose buds. A loose, cream dress draped on her figure and she looked up from a book that lay in her lap. Her hair streamed in silky waves down her shoulders, loosely pinned away from her face. Beaming at me, she opened her arms, gesturing me to come to her.

When I was close enough, she scooped me into her arms and placed me on her lap before peppering kisses all over my face with, "You found me."

"I've been looking for you everywhere," I puffed out a breath of air and hugged her around the neck. When I pulled away, her green eyes softened as they looked into mine, and I played with her necklace, feeling her warm skin against my hands, "Why are you hiding?"

She smoothed my hair with her hand and pressed a kiss to my forehead, "I am sorry, Stasia. I am not hiding from you, my love." Her hand cupped my cheek and I looked up at her, seeing some sadness touch her eyes. Before I could hold onto the truth in them, she pulled her lips up into a smile and let her eyes travel around with, "This is just my happy place. It's where I come to collect thoughts...wishes. Everyone has one."

"I want a happy place," I said to her. "Can I have a happy place?"

A soft laugh broke from her lips and she rubbed her thumb across my cheek as she nodded, "Yes, of course you can."

"It's so pretty here," I observed, looking around at the small collections of flowers and the rose buds that popped up here and there. The stone wall that hid behind the vinery so much that one could barely even tell it was there.

Her arms surrounded me as she gave me a gentle squeeze, whispering, "We can share it."

"Mommy," I looked at her and felt the wisps of her hair tickle softly at my fingertips, "Can we read here instead?"

She nodded at me, and the center of her eyes caught a ray of sun, warming for a moment, "I would love that." Then, a thought came to her mind and she said, "Oh, I found something for you."

I felt my chest rise in anticipation and I watched as she reached under the fold of her book to bring a bloomed rose into view. The center blushed with a vibrant pink color and softened to a white as it lost its color outwards. She twirled it in her fingertips and pressed it to her nose, "Here smell, it's lovely."

I leaned forward and let the velvet petals brush across my nose as I took in the subtle sweetness.

"It's the first rose bloom of the summer," She mentioned, and gave it to me. I was entranced, twirling it in between my fingertips just as she did, seeing the colors blend together.

Her lips pressed to my forehead as she rocked us for a moment, whispering, "A rose for my little rose."