{17} Renovamen

TW: Death of a child, blood

On his fourth birthday, Garroth was given light up shoes.

He had been begging for those shoes. Any time his parents asked him what he wanted for his birthday, the first and most important was those light up sneakers. The sneakers he could stomp around in as much as he pleased, and they'd light up the characters that decorated the shoes in response.

His little face lit up as he opened those shoes adorned with Spider-Man on his birthday.

In the hospital, they were a sense of relief. As Garte, Zianna, and Garroth waited in the facilities for testing to occur, the little one got incredibly anxious and antsy awaiting his several procedures.

"I bet you can't make those shoes light up," Garte would say in an effort to distract Garroth.

"Yes, I can!" Garroth would stomp his foot on the ground. The little shoes were illuminated.

The four year old would smirk with pure mischief in his eyes. He knew he'd proved his father's statement incorrect. Garte then smirked back, making a game out of these shoes that Garroth so desperately wanted.

So, when Garte walked into the room where the doctors and the warlock were injecting his son with the Forever Potion, he expected to see the little one ready to jump off the table and show off the shoes he still had on.

Maybe that wasn't what he expected and more so what he wanted to see, but seeing his son dead on a table he was strapped to was neither of which.

Derek was unable to keep his eyes from turning red. He launched at Michael, only to be held back by Zack. He was belligerent, more outwardly angry than Garte would ever show.

"You knew this would fucking happen!" Derek screamed.

Michael smirked smugly. Though he was distraught over the death himself, he was too amused at Derek's reaction.

"Wipe that smile off your fucking face," Derek growled. "There's a dead child two feet away from you."

Garte reached the side of Garroth on the table he lay on. Against the repeated objections from Elizabeth, Garte loosened the straps that held his son so tightly. He picked up Garroth as though he were a precious relic, an ancient artifact too delicate to be touched.

Michael stood in front of the livid Derek, unbothered by the blood red color in his iris. He was continuously blowing Derek off. Elizabeth was screaming back at Derek and attempting to have her voice reach a volume above his. Zack was screaming at everyone to calm down, to remember the situation at hand here.

Garte was left holding Garroth's lifeless body. A slight green hue ran throughout the veins that once granted life to him. He was still warm, and if Garte hadn't thought twice he could've sworn his preschooler's heart was beating. He sat down on the table that once held Garroth and put a hand on his head, stroking his blonde hair.

"So what is he, just another casualty to add to your list?!" Derek exclaimed.

Zack was slowly advancing towards Garroth and Garte. He was attempting to avoid Derek's attention gravitating from Michael to him as he was moving to save a child's life. Zack reached both arms out to Garte, who was still holding Garroth as though he was a baby once again.

"Can I see him for a moment?" Zack inquired gently.

Garte pulled Garroth's lifeless body closer to himself. Without words, the panic came to his face. He was so afraid of what remained of Garroth being taken away from him as well.

Zack felt a tight grip on his arm. He snapped his head around to see Derek, whose eyes were glowing a beady red. He was breathing through his gritted teeth.