2| Friends?

Chapter 2

Friends?

Sunday 29th of June 1985

The next day Jaya went about her day the same as she always did, being dropped off at work to see the familiar face of the only coworker she could actually tolerate - Kate Russo. The girls greeted each other with a smile as Jaya get herself sorted and ready to go, tying her thick dark mane of hair into a low ponytail and putting on her apron.

"So guess what?" Jaya looks up giving Kate her utmost attention, "I had an interview for a proper job the other day."

"Ah, so that's why you abandoned me without any warning."

Kate's eyes widen and her voice raises slightly in a joking manner, "I didn't abandon you! I didn't want to get my hopes up by telling anyone... You didn't have to serve by yourself, did you? I told Manager Mandy." Kate's genuine concern makes Jaya smile.

"It was all fine, Mandy got Ben in." Kate nods.

"Anyway, so, I was thinking - cause it went really well and all - that with a better job and a not-so-ugly uniform I could shoot my shot with Steve."

"Steve?"

"Steve Harrington, The Hair, King Steve."

Jaya nods, "Yeah, I know who you mean I just want to know why. I don't understand the interest."

Kate thinks for a moment, "Well, I haven't talked to him since school but I've heard his luck with the ladies has gone downhill, and with a new job I thought: why not try and get the hot guy as well." Jaya nods her head but still doesn't understand the fascination people have always seemed to have with that boy.

"Hot?"

Kate raises an eyebrow at Jaya, "Have you seen the guy? Mc Steamy could do anything he wanted and I could not care less." Jaya pauses for a moment, thinking about it. Objectively, yes, Steve is an attractive guy, Jaya knows that much, but hot? She wouldn't go that far, in fact, she wouldn't go that far in any case she has experienced when it comes to guys, at all.

"I can put in a good word for you," Jaya finally gets out after a rather long pause. Kate's eyes snap to Jaya's, "I'm kinda friends with Robin, they work together at Scoops Ahoy."

Kate immediately breaks out into a smile, "If you do that I will literally love you forever." Jaya laughs off the shock of her coworker's statement as best she could, watching as Kate instantly snapped to a professional front as a customer came in. At least that gave her a reason to talk to Robin today.

During a break, Jaya decides to do just that and head over to Scoops Ahoy. She planned on getting a drink and chatting with Robin like she usually did, however, not quite sure how to prolong the conversation without annoying other customers behind her. When she approached the counter she was met by Steve instead of Robin. Jaya ordered her drink and when steve handed it to her she decided she would ask about her favourite server, maybe she could catch her later and talk to her then.

"Where's Robin? Doesn't she usually work up front at this time?"

Steve nods, "Yeah, we just uh... switched today. She was bored with customers." Jaya nods her head.