10| The end of the Beginning

Chapter 10

The end of the beginning

Thursday 11th July 1985

Everything leading up to knocking on Robin's door felt surreal. It wasn't quite real to Jaya at all until Robin opened the door and looked down at Jaya with a smile, "Hey."

"Hey. You didn't go missing!"

Robin chuckles stepping out of her house, "I didn't go missing!" Jaya steps back and leads Robin to her dad's car, at first she goes to get in the back but she shakes her head and opens the passenger door for her, "Whoever said chivalry was dead?"

"I know right, they obviously hadn't met me." Jaya heads around to the driver's side of the car, putting the keys in the ignition.

Robin's brows furrow, "Isn't this your dad's car? and also can't you not drive?"

"I've got my learner permit, technically I'm supposed to be driving with someone with a license but oh well." Jaya smiles as she starts to drive away, "As for my dad, he doesn't have to know."

As they leave Robin's road, Jaya reaches to turn the volume dial for the radio the girl in the passenger seat seems to light up at the song that comes on, "I love Blondie!"

"You do?" Robin nods with a smile, "Well turn it up then!" 

Hawk cinema isn't far from home but definitely too far to walk, so the singing along to the radio that quickly commenced that Blondie revelation didn't last too long. While the girls themselves weren't happy about it, their eardrums definitely were. Jaya parked in front of the cinema, only just missing the corner of the car behind her, the two girls bounce out of the car heading into the building. 

Jaya buys the tickets and Robin insists on getting the drinks in return, "It's only fair." She reasons as the two head into the screen side by side. The ads had started by the time they got there and the room was relatively full, since Starcourt had opened the cinema in town was much less popular but it seems with the place burning down Hawk Cinema was back in business, so they were lucky to find two seats in the back corner. 

The adverts were boring and the two girls spent the time making fun of the actors that had to take part in them, "God I hope the actors were paid a lot. I wouldn't wear that for any amount of money." Jaya whispered when a particularly strange ad came on about some form of medication.

Robin giggles, "It's so bad." The two went on like that until the lights dimmed and the screen went dark only for the opening scene of Back to the Future to take its place. Jaya quickly gets caught up in the movie and its strange plot so much so that she almost doesn't notice how close Robin and her hands have gotten. She wanted to take her hand in hers so bad. Jaya wasn't sure if it was the right move but she knew she liked Robin and for one reason or another, Jaya was pretty sure Robin liked her back

Jaya grasped Robin's hand in her own, intertwining their fingers, locking them together. Robin's hands were sweaty but Jamie didn't care, she was holding her hand! That's all that mattered to her at that moment. Robin looked at Jaya with a smile before glancing around the room. Jaya will admit that she hadn't thought about anyone seeing them and that she probably should have but in the back of that dark movie theatre, Jaya felt sure that no one could see them and that seems to be the conclusion Robin came to as well because she very quickly went back to the movie, only this time a grin seemingly engraved into her face.

Soon the movie came to an end and the lights came up, Robin and Jaya shared a look of understanding before slowly separating their hands. Jaya thought that it would become awkward between her and Robin after she held her hand and that the two of them would struggle to talk as they walked to the diner around the corner but that was the opposite of the case. The two couldn't stop talking about the movie about how strange it was that Marty was friends with such an old Doctor in the first place and how Robin could, "Totally tell what was going to happen next."