Sir Morien

Percival and Gawaine, early to the Round Table gathering, turned at Lancelot's entrance

Percival and Gawaine, early to the Round Table gathering, turned at Lancelot's entrance. He walked slowly, easing himself into the chair, settling in with a loud exhale. "I feel like I battled a bull. My every muscle aches."

The day before no one had expected the Tournament to become such an astonishing spectacle. As usual, Lancelot had vanquished all who stood before him and by late afternoon, only one remained. No one knew his opponent who fought under no Coat of Arms and had not once removed his helmet. Those in the Gallery, owing to his dark dress and armor, referred to him as the Black Knight and as the two prepared their steeds, knowing smiles and heavy wagering stacked the odds against the stranger.

On the two charged toward one another, the heavy war horses thundering across the jousting lanes. To no one's surprise, the Black Knight came unhorsed. As one the crowd rose, roaring at a sight never before seen. Lancelot too had flown off his saddle. Leaping to their feet, unsheathing swords, the sounds of steel against shield clanged across the field. On they battled. Parry, thrust, block. Block, thrust, parry. Twisting, swerving, dodging, they battled on, neither giving quarter, neither seeking it. Shadows lengthened but the two warriors fought on like true champions with the crowd alternating between groans and cheers at the ebb and flow.

Finally, Arthur stood to raise his hand, signaling a halt. "There will be no decision between these two magnificent Knights. For the first time, I declare the Tournament ended with dual champions."

The Gallery rose in resounding applause. Shouts of Lancelot and Black Knight called to the favorites. But before anyone could approach, the stranger bowed to Arthur, bowed to the assemblage, and mounted his ebon steed. As it pranced and danced in place, he gave a final wave and with a sharp pull of the reins, galloped away.

Incoming Knights, joined Percival and Gawaine in peppering Lancelot for details, all still astounded anyone could unhorse him. Again the doors opened and in strode Arthur bearing a sword though all could see Excalibur hanging from his side. He smiled, laying it on the Round Table to send a wordless message that the thirteen had increased by one.Behind him entered another. Arthur motioned with an arm. "Welcome, Sir Morien. Welcome to the Knights of the Round Table." Surprised looks accompanied raised brows as the man removed his helmet and saluted. He was indeed the Black Knight.