Chapter 20 -- Waterfalls

An adventure to Alderaan! Senator Bail Organa and several representatives from the Alderaan system have been threatened following the introduction of a controversial bill in the Senate. A newly recovered Commander Ace and his Jedi General Taska Rokanh have been assigned to lead several squads as bodyguards for the vulnerable group.

"Good to see you again, commander," Lark greeted in Hangar A of Kamino.

"You too," Ace responded with a smile. "Finally getting off this rock is gonna feel great. Is the general already on the ship?"

Lark glanced at him apologetically. "Actually, the general was called away on assignment a week ago. The Jedi were going to give you both a break until you were recovered, but General Secura needed reinforcement."

"So it's just us on this mission?"

"Actually, the mission should be close to over by now, and the system she's in is much closer to Alderaan than we are," Lark explained, subconsciously gesturing to the star systems on his armor as he spoke. "So she'll probably meet us there."

They stepped off their small transport ship full of veterans and shinies alike at the same time General Rokanh did.

"Commander!" She called with a wide smile. She looked... different. She seemed older, and much too clean and rested to have just come from a battle besides. "It's been a while."

"Sir," he saluted. "Yes it has."

"I'm glad to have you back," she nodded, waving a hand to dismiss his posture. "Senator Organa is being a very gracious host, and I would like for you to get settled in as soon as possible," she glanced at Lark, who rolled on his feet a bit. "Lark, could you please show him to his temporary quarters?"

"With pleasure, sir," Lark smiled, and Ace had begun to suspect something was up.

"Is there anything that you need me to do?" He asked surreptitiously.

"You'll find out soon enough," Lark answered for her, and guided him toward a guest house that was nearly as big as the mansion it nestled against.

They found themselves in a house bigger and more lavishly decorated than either of them had ever seen, and even Ace had to marvel at it. "So this is how senators live," he thought out loud.

"And we do too, for a little while. The officers helping on this mission even get their own turns in these rooms, when we're not on shift. It's gonna be great," Lark smiled widely. He pushed open a door on their right, and of all the things in the bedroom, Ace's eyes immediately landed on one.

"I take it the Army uniform is mine?" He said, though the question couldn't hide the confusion in his voice.

"Yes, sir," Lark nodded enthusiastically. "I'll leave you to get changed, but, uh, we'll need you back in the main courtyard at 1700."

Ace had partially decoded what all the suspense could mean by the time he was ready to open the front door again. Half of him dreaded the spectacle.

The other half? Well, that half was just starstruck.

The feeling only got worse as he opened the door—the groups that had gathered in small circles quickly snapped to attention, helmets on and all visors on him. His men formed a neat row to General Rokanh, Lark perhaps the most visible at the very front.

"If you haven't guessed by now, this is a medal ceremony," Taska said with a smile that befitted the formal occasion. "We poorly kept the secret so we would be sure you wouldn't decline."

Ace set his face into his stoic commander mode.

"Step forward, please," she asked. He walked as she continued to speak. "Commander Ace is being awarded this medal for his outstanding display of bravery and selflessness just a few weeks ago at the hands of the Separatists. I understand that it is not only the Jedi way, but the Fett way as well to be modest about your achievements, but I am immeasurably grateful to him for saving my life without a second thought. He deserves recognition."