Epilogue -- New Life

"Sir—I mean, uh, Rokanh," a deep voice said from behind her, and she jolted up in her seat.

"Sorry, I, um, I didn't mean to disturb you."

"Not a problem, Rex," Taska said, automatically releasing the steering console and stretching, her fingertips brushing the ceiling where it curved down to form the wall next to her. "You need anything?"

"I was just about to, um, say that I could relieve you," he said. "I got a bit of shuteye the past couple hours, and, all due respect, it seems that you could use the same."

Taska chuckled weakly. "I'll take your word for it," she murmured. She could feel the tired ache in her bones, but her eyelids still seemed stuck open, her mind unwilling to let her rest. "Are you sure?"

"Very, sir," Rex answered surely, though Taska didn't miss the way he flinched as he again addressed her as sir.

"Alright," she relented, moving up out of the seat. "Wake me if anything happens."

"Will do," Rex nodded shortly, his bright hair shining blue in the light of hyperspace. "I might set us down in the Trin-Moli belt to refuel."

"You don't have to do that," Taska argued. "We can get some after we drop you off."

"Get some rest, sir," he said kindly. "You've been through enough in the past twenty-four hours."

Taska gave a small smile, her brows furrowed. "Thank you, Rex. Really."

"Just doing my duty, sir."

Taska didn't have the heart to say any more. It wasn't his duty to protect her, not anymore. It hadn't been for a while. But she let herself let it go when she realized that he had taken on a bigger duty—doing what was right for the galaxy.

Perhaps he will succeed where the Jedi failed.

She took her time on the ladder to the main hold, not trusting her now-adrenaline-free legs to handle the jump down. Now that she had allowed herself to relax, leaving the ship in Rex's hands, every inch of her body seemed to shake, her mind clouding, and she needed to lay down.

The hold was full of snores, Chrome, Lark, and A'den in a pile on the ground to where Taska couldn't tell where one ended and the next began. They had left the only bed--more of a bare metal slab with a thin mat over it--open for Ace, his head carefully propped up on two thin cushions that had been taken from some cabinet nearby. Taska remembered A'den reporting on him earlier.

"He'll be fine, Tas," he murmured, only standing on the second rung of the cockpit ladder. "Like I said, his brain just needs to catch up. He'll probably sleep until we get home."

"You should too," Taska encouraged quietly, forcing her brain to accept the relief that should come with his news.

His breathing was steady, and Taska sat gingerly on the edge of the bunk, cringing as it creaked. As the back of her fingers passed over his cheek, she felt how warm he was. She loved that about him, though the first time she noticed it, she had been greatly worried for his health. Clones naturally ran hot, and her commander was no exception.

His eyes fluttered, and Taska quickly drew her hand back. Ace's hand found it again, held onto it gently. "Was wondering when you'd finally give in," he murmured, and Taska gave a wide, genuine smile.

"I was going to have to tape my eyelids open if I stayed up there any longer," she said. "I was just checking on you before I settled down."

"C'mere," he said readily, flipping onto his back. The whole bunk was barely big enough to fit someone as bulky as him, but he had already thrown the blanket aside to make room for her.

"Are you sure?" Taska asked wearily.

"I can handle it," he soothed, and without further prompting, she lay on his chest, nose just brushing his collarbone.

"It's good to have you back," she mumbled, fingers brushing across the curls at his temple.

"Good to be back," he answered, arms wrapping around her back. "Thank you."

Taska smiled again, closing her eyes and settling into Ace's warmth. His breathing slowed almost immediately, and Taska could feel her heartbeat sync to his.

All this time they'd been on the run, it had felt like years, and yet still, there had been some sort of barrier between the two of them. They loved each other, but Taska was still a Jedi and Ace was still a clone. Taska wasn't used to love any more than he was.

But now, on a thin metal bunk hours after nearly dying thrice over, Taska felt it. They were meant for each other. She felt safe in his arms, and with the chip's influence gone, his presence in the Force was brighter than ever, unconsciously twining with hers.

She had never been more grateful for giving up everything she knew, leaving what she thought was the only family she would ever have.

"I love you," she whispered, and although Ace didn't hear it, she could be sure this time that she meant it completely.

"I love you."